Thread: 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5830 in crossfire freezes while playing games

2 x ATI Radeon HD 5830 in crossfire freezes while playing games

I have set up 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5830 in crossfire successfully but whenever I try to play games like prototype 2, COD: black ops 2 and others than my system freezes and I have to force it to shutdown and start it again. As far as I am aware 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5830 should work fine in crossfire but they are not, any idea what might be wrong???

Re: 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5830 in crossfire freezes while playing games

I want to know if they work fine alone, have you updated their drivers?? Have you installed recommended windows update? If not than check out these things first and post back the response you get for further help.

Yes, they work fine alone and I have updated their driver to the latest. I can run the same games after disabling Crossfire. However I don’t get the desired fps and that’s the reason I have bought another one for crossfire. I have been installing all recommended windows update from time to time, so my system is fully updated. I am not able to make out what might be causing them to freeze after enabling Crossfire. I have tried swapping their slots, I have checked out the cables but no luck. Please let me know if there is anything else that I need to check out or I can try out. Any further help regarding this will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Are both cards getting recognized in CCC and CPU-Z? Is it possible for you to test them on some other system?? Did you tried roll back to old drivers?? Just make sure that you are installing same version of drivers for both the card. I have come across people who were facing such issue while running their cards in cross fire with different driver installed for them. So make sure that you are not repeating the same thing.

Both cards are getting recognized in CCC and CPU-Z and GPU-Z is showing the GPUs enabled in CrossFire as well. I had tried rolling back to old drivers but that wasn’t making any difference in my case. Currently I having same version of drivers installed for both of them. I don’t know why but I am getting a feeling that there is nothing wrong with the cards but there is something stopping them from working in CrossFire.

I don’t have another working machine for testing the cards but I have gone through many other threads where similar issue was mentioned and haven’t come across any effective solution yet. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card drivers many a times but I am just not able to get them working in CrossFire.

If the cards are working fine alone and have the same version of driver installed then they should work fine in CrossFire. Since they are not, I guess there is something wrong with your Motherboard, I am not so sure about that but I really can’t think of anything else that might be causing this issue. For eliminating the possible cause of this issue you will surely have to test your card in some other working system.

Ok, I’ll ask my friend to test out the cards in his machine. I will be visiting his place this weekend. So until than if there is any solution that I can try out further on my machine itself than do let me know.