Thread: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz performance degraded after overclocking

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz performance degraded after overclocking

I had overclocked my AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz to 3.5 ghz. My system was quite stable and I did not had any issues with it. However today when I down clocked it to stock, it seems as if its performance has degraded. My system is running quite slow. I can make out the difference without much attention. Does that mean overclocking has turned my CPU faulty????

Re: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz performance degraded after overclocking

Are you quite sure that you had done a stable overclocking?? I haven’t heard of a case like yours. I have found some people who had overclocked their system neglecting its stability and have ran in to same issue after downgrading. Some had mentioned that simply restarting their system a couple of times after overclocking had helped them out where as some had to replace their CPU. If you haven’t rebooted your system by now than reboot it a couple of times and see if things start working fine after that???

Re: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 ghz performance degraded after overclocking

I want to know if you had overclocked your cpu form bios or you had used some applications for doing the same??? Did you run a stability test using stressing application after overclocking your system before??? Just let me know these things so that I can have better idea of the issue you are going through.

I am aware of the overclocking procedure and I have done it quite a few times on other systems without any issues. I have tried it for the very first time on my new system, as I have already mentioned my system was quite stable after overclocking cpu to 3.5 ghz. I had tested out the stability by running prime95 and had played some games for long hours as well. I don’t know what went wrong with the cpu after downlocking it. I had not used any application for overclocking my system. I had overclocked it from bios. Please let me know if there is anything that I can try to get my cpu working fine again.

I am not sure if below things will work but you can surely give them a try.

First clear cmos – There are different method for clearing cmos but you can try easiest one
    Just turn off your system, unplug the power cord, take out the battery, wait for a minute, reseat the battery, plug the power cord and turn your system.
    Secondly, update your bios – Update your bios to the latest available

Just try out these things and post back if you see performance gain after that.

I have tried clearing cmos and have tried updating the bios but I don’t see any improvement. Whenever I play any games my cpu usage jumps to 100 percent and my system gets slow. I am not able to play any games because they start lagging after cpu usage jumps to 100 percent. Is there anything that I can try out further? Or I should get my cpu checked???

See if you are having any other working system around you than you can test your cpu in there. If it works fine than there might be something wrong with your system and you will have to carry out some more trouble shooting steps. If it doesn’t than you will have to get it checked, I can’t think of anything else that might help you to find out the actual cause of this issue.