Thread: Is it safe to overclock radeon hd 7670m

Is it safe to overclock radeon hd 7670m

I have a HP Pavilion laptop and games like Need for speed lags a lot. I have tried installing latest driver for my radeon hd 7670m card but that’s not making any difference. Yesterday when I addressed this issue to some of my friends, some suggested me to overclock my GPU for running the game smoothly where as some said that I should not overclock it at all. So I just wanted to confirm if it will be safe overclocking radeon hd 7670m or not??? Help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Is it safe to overclock radeon hd 7670m

You should not overclock your laptop GPU you might damage your board as well. Have you tried overclocking before? Do you have good idea about it???

No I haven’t tried overclocking before but I have read few articles about it and have found that my radeon hd 7670m can be overclocked to 780Mhz. Correct me if I am wrong??? I won’t say that I have good idea about overclocking but I can refer to some guides and try it out myself. I just want to cross check and confirm if overclocking it would be safe or not but your answer is confusing me now.

Yes you can overclock your GPU but trust me people who have tried doing that have got negative response. I have come across many people who have tried overclocking their hd 7670m and have ran in to overheating issues. Few people have damaged their motherboard as well, they were just checking the stability of their laptop for running the game but they dint cared about the temperature. As recommended one should not overclock their gpu once its temp reaches 75 degrees. Even though your gpu might handle temperature above 75 degrees, it is likely that it might fry up other nearby components and harm the board.

A overclocked laptop gpu is likely to run in to overheating issues it’s not just about radeon hd 7670m. There is no enough room in a laptop to dispatch the heat completely, it can handle everything that will run on stock but it might not if overclocked. I had tried overclocking my acer laptop last year and I was able to do that successfully, things were appearing quite stable and temp were normal. The very next day I started playing Battlefield 3 and after an hour my laptop got shutdown suddenly. On reboot I wasn’t getting any display, it too it to the service center and found that my gpu got fried. Since that day I haven’t tried overclocking laptop gpus.

If you want than you can use MSi Afterburn and try overclocking your card. Just make sure that you are not going above 100 MHz and its temperature is below 80. As per my Knowledge radeon hd 7670m can handle 80 degrees but not above that.