Thread: How to apply aftermarket TIMs on Intel processors?

How to apply aftermarket TIMs on Intel processors?

I have an Intel processor in my computer and I am trying to overclock it to make it reach up to the frequency of 4.0 GHz. The problem is that when I reach up to 3.8 GHz, the system starts generating a large amount of heat. The temperature actually rose till 94 degree Celsius in my computer. I have enough cooling fans and heatsinks in my computer. So there is no question of adding more of them. I wanted to use Arctic Silver 5 to maintain the temperature. But I don’t know how to apply it. Can someone tell me how to use it in the computer?

Re: How to apply aftermarket TIMs on Intel processors?

The method of using the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste is very easy. You just have to apply it over the flat surfaces of the heat generating parts. In your case it is the Intel Processor. You can also apply it below the heat sinks and the cooling fans if you feel that they are generating a lot of heat. You can even feel the outer side of the CPU cabinet and find the parts where large amount of heat is being felt. You can apply the Arctic Silver 5 paste on the inner side of the same parts.

The thermal paste have to be applied in small amount over the desired parts. For a processor, you can take a small ball of the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The ball of Arctic Silver 5 should be around the size of the small sized ball bearing. You will need to spread it on the surface properly and evenly. Be careful while applying it as any unevenness in the spread will lead to complications in the cooling. You can use credit card or other such hard flat object that can help you to spread the thermal paste properly. Don’t use knife as it might have a sharp edge which might scratch the surface of the processor. Also see to it that you don’t use any object that has high level of static in it.

When you are applying the Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste see to it that you are starting to spread it from the centre of the surface and not from the sides. If you start applying it from the sides, the thermal paste might fall down the sides and get stuck in the slots of the processor. This again can be harmful so take care of it. Another thing that you need to take care of is that of the air bubbles that get formed in the layer of thermal paste being applied. There shouldn’t be any air bubbles and you will need to remove it before the paste dries.

When you are applying the thermal paste on the peripherals of the computer, you need to see that there is no dust around you. The dust might get stuck on the paste leading to more problems. Also see to it that you are replacing the thermal paste regularly. You might need to remove the old dried layer of thermal paste in a period of two months and then apply a new layer of thermal paste. I don’t know much about Arctic Silver 5 and how it works, but you will need to clean it regularly and apply a new layer of it.