Thread: MSI R7970 Lightning overclocking

MSI R7970 Lightning overclocking

I have a MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card in my computer and I wish to overclock this graphic card to get an above normal performance with it. I have overclocked some graphic cards before and I have some idea about how things work. This is the first time that I will be overclocking a MSI graphic card. So I wanted some help regarding the overclocking tools used for MSI R7970 Lightning. Can someone who has already overclocked a MSI graphic card help me?

Re: MSI R7970 Lightning overclocking

I’d say that you should go for the default MSI overclocking tool which is MSI Afterburner for the overclocking of MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card of yours. You can also use the AMD PowerTune technology for adjusting the settings properly for your graphic card if needed to. One best thing about MSI R7970 Lightning that I like is that when you enter the BIOS, you will find the overclocking options already unlocked for this graphic card. Also the Catalyst Control Centre will provide options for overclocking the MSI R7970 Lightning to higher levels which will prove more helpful to you. Also MSI R7970 Lightning is meant for overclocking as the stability it provides is awesome.

When overclocking MSI R7970 Lightning, you can set the core memory to 1300 MHz and if your system permits high level of overclocking, then you can even try for core memory of 1600 MHz But with proper cooling system and supporting hardware, one can take the core memory till 1930 MHz to 2520 MHz The system might lose stability, but the graphic card will perform to its highest limit. Whatever is possible depending upon your system, but I found that in my computer, after overclocking MSI R7970 Lightning memory core at 1185 MHz is most stable at 1.25 V.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

The MSI Afterburner is an official overclocking tool for MSI graphic cards, but if you want to extend its power to the extreme limits, then it is not possible using the default settings and other configurations. The path followed by MSI Afterburner is pre-programmed and you cannot break out of it. But we know that tweaking an attribute or two will give better than expected results. So to get this feature, you have to go in the configuration file of the MSI AfterBunrer. The file will be named as MSIafterburner.cfg and can be found in the directory where you have installed the MSI AfterBurner. Here in the configuration file, edit the values that I have given to you,

• UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
    • PowerPlay = active (Should be disabled on old motherboards)

Editing the configuration file of the MSI AfterBurner to use the unofficial method of overclocking the MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card is a dangerous method. You can damage the graphic card beyond repairs. I suggest that you avoid this method until you are 100% sure that it will work for you. Also according to your question, this is first time you will be overclocking a MSI graphic card. It is better that you skip this part.

If you are overclocking your MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card for purpose of gaming, then I’ll suggest that you keep a look on value of 3DMark 11. I’ll suggest that the best score for 3DMark 11 will be between P8898 to P9214. But let me warn you that the better 3DMark 11 score you will try to achieve, the higher the temperature will go. See to it that you don’t let the temperature go high enough that it will shut down your PC. Again in the MSI AfterBurner for MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card will have an option for power control. By default, the value will be set to 0%; you can increase the value to 20% considering that you have a powerful PSU in your computer.

When overclocking the MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card see to it that you are providing proper power supply to the graphic card. During overclocking, it needs large amount of power which if not found might create certain problems. Also the PSU in your computer must be good enough to support high level demands of the graphic card’s power supply.

If there is any problem with the power supply, like less supply can crash your PC in mid-process time leading to more complex problems. So see to it that there is ample amount of power being supplied in the computer.

Temperature is a big issue while overclocking any peripheral. The rise in temperature can lead to damage of your MSI R7970 Lightning graphic card if not controlled properly. You need to provide proper airflow and ventilation to your CPU cabinet in order to let the hot air get out of it. It is recommended that you keep the side panel of your CPU cabinet open while you are overclocking. This is the best ventilation you can ever provide.

Also try to maintain the temperature of your computer below 65 degree Celsius. It is better if you use extra cooling devices like cooling fans, heatsinks and liquid cooling system.