Thread: Intel Core 3700+ Sandy overclocking

Intel Core 3700+ Sandy overclocking

I have an 3700+ Sandy motherboard in my computer which I have to overclock. I have overclocked processors in past but never overclocked any motherboard. I wanted to know what things I should take care of while overclocking a motherboard. The frequency of memory is set to 194 V and the VCore voltage is of 1.4 V. Can someone tell me how much overclocking must be done to keep my motherboard safe from damages and what care should be taken? Can someone tell me?

Re: Intel Core 3700+ Sandy overclocking

Since this is the first time that you are overclocking an motherboard, let me tell you that you should avoid taking big steps by increasing the voltage by large values. Since the 3700+ Sandy is an old motherboard, you will have to be more cautious. Overclocking peripheral leads to decrease in the life expectancy of the hardware piece. But since this motherboard is old, you can risk it to the problem of reduced life. But again you will have to be careful while overclocking as one minor mistake and your motherboard will go bust.

Overclocking a motherboard won’t help as it just transfers the data from one peripheral to another. Overclocking the motherboard will just increase the speed by which the data is transferred from one peripheral to other. The overclocking of motherboard will actually become useful if you overclock the other peripherals too, like processor or RAM. If you overclock the motherboard and the peripherals on it remain of same power as before, then it won’t be of use as they will continue to send the data at same rate. If you overclock the other peripherals too, then they will generate the data fast and it will be transferred fast too.

Overclocking of the motherboard is necessary when you have overclocked other peripherals like processor or graphic card. Actually if you overclocked the processor or the graphic card, then it might happen that they will start generating the data and keep sending it to other peripherals. But if the motherboard is not fast enough, then the data won’t be sent or transferred around efficiently leading to formations of the bottlenecks in the working of the system. So I suggest you that you should have other peripherals overclocked if you want to overclock the motherboard else, it is of no use. The motherboard doesn’t produce any content of its own like the processor or graphic card, thus many people don’t prefer overclocking them.

While overclocking the motherboard, see to it that you are providing ample amount of voltage to it. It might happen that reduced amount of voltage leads to motherboard’s consumption of voltage from other peripherals. What I mean to say is that every peripheral in your computer needs some voltage to operate, including the motherboard.

When in overclocking process, the requirement for power by the specific peripheral is very high and after overclocking the requirement increases than before. So if you don’t provide ample amount of voltage, the motherboard will get voltage meant for other peripherals leading to deprivation of power for other part.

Since you mentioned that you have a 3700+ Sandy motherboard which you want to overclock, I suggest that you get values of the properties of the same motherboard from someone else. Maybe you might even find them on internet. But don’t try to achieve the same results as the result varies from computer to computer.

Even a 0.01 difference in frequency of some peripheral can bring lot of difference in end results. You will need to have some values as reference point, but don’t try to copy it.

Heat is an important issue when overclocking. Even when overclocking a motherboard, you will encounter generation of lot of heat. You will need to control the heat in your computer as it can damage the parts very well. You will need to use extra cooling devices like cooling fans or heat sinks to control the heat. Also you will need to provide proper airflow so that the hot air created inside the computer is blown out and the temperature doesn’t increase inside the CPU cabinet.

It is preferable to have the side panel of the CPU cabinet open while overclocking as it will provide best air flow for the computer. If the ambient temperature of the region in which you live is high, you will need to provide cooling using the water cooling devices.