Thread: Overclocking GeForce GTX 570 SLI

Overclocking GeForce GTX 570 SLI

I am beginner when it comes to overclocking, especially graphic cards. I have a GeForce GTX 570 SLI graphic card in my system. I want to overclock it. Can anyone tell me for what clock should I be aiming using this graphic card? It is in a cool HAX F body case. I prefer the use of MSI afterburner for overclocking. Can anyone give me few suggestions that will help me in overclocking the graphic card?

Re: Overclocking GeForce GTX 570 SLI

MSI afterburner is good for overclocking a graphic card. You can use 3D mark Vantage or 3D mark 11 for benchmarking your graphic card while overclocking. You can also use a heavy game like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 or Saints Row the Third for purpose of getting maximum framerate. The overclocking of the graphic card will reduce the noise generated by the graphic card as well as the power consumption will also be reduced. These two factors are good performance of graphic card. You can go on overclocking the graphic card until the noise is reduced to your desired level. Also the power consumption will reduce at a good rate. See to it that power supply doesn’t get reduced so much that graphic card won’t function properly.

I suggest that you hook the graphic card to the base clock. It will be good if you even hook the RAM to the base clock. This won’t be needed, but comes in use to match the timings of clock of both graphic card and RAM. Now start the MSI afterburner and 3D Mark to do the benchmarking. Note down the values that you get through this which will be helpful. Now start playing the heavy game that you have installed in your computer for getting the numbers of framerate that your graphic card can give. While the graphic card is being utilized, try upgrading the core clock shaders memory value. Now run benchmark test until it fails. Increase the voltage and again try benchmarking the graphic card in similar way. Keep increasing the voltage until you find a right point where the value of core clock shaders memory is highest.

I tried this same in my case and it works up to some extent. The stock settings of my graphic card are 785 cores, 1572 shaders and 950 memory locations. I overclocked my graphic card after which the settings of my graphic card were showed as, 880 cores, 1760 shaders and 1000 memory locations. If the overclocking process is not proceeding further then don’t force the graphic card to increase the values. Many times bottlenecks are created and thus the overclocking process doesn’t work. Instead abort every process that is running and start a new process all over again.

While overclocking see t it that your graphic card doesn’t overheat. Overheating can cause the graphic card to be damaged and will also not give proper results. If the graphic card is overheating then check if the air hat you are providing is sufficient or not. Also check the airflow in your CPU cabinet for it may not be circulating properly. Try using a water cooler or alternative methods for cooling. When I am overclocking any part of my computer, I prefer keeping side panel of my cabinet open as it provides a route for exit of maximum amount of hot air.