Thread: Benching of AMD Phenom X4 955BE versus AMD FX 6100

Benching of AMD Phenom X4 955BE versus AMD FX 6100

I have an AMD FX 6100 in my computer which I have decided to perform benching on it. I have decided to use applications that run on real time speed. The setup that I have chosen for benchmarking includes an 880GM-USB3 rev 3.1 motherboard, 8 GB of Corsair Value RAM and a 2 GB Dirt3 Sapphire 6950 graphic card (Not overclocked). I have Windows 7 installed on a SSD in my computer. I think that I will use Battlefield 3 at full specifications to see if the framerate remains consistent. Can anyone provide me suggestions for doing proper benchmarking?

Re: Benching of AMD Phenom X4 955BE versus AMD FX 6100

Battlefield 3 is a good choice for getting information of framerate of your display. I suggest that you also try getting framerate using other games like Crysis 2, Saints Row the Third, Metro 2033, Shogun 2, etc. These games too have a good quality graphics and can be helpful while benchmarking. See to it that you play each game continuously for couple of hours. This will give you a good variation in the framerate using which you can take decisions while benchmarking your processor. To get better results while benchmarking, try playing the games at various different graphic qualities. The most important resolution that you need to play on to get values of framerate is the lowest one and the highest one. These games provide a real time rendering and utilize the processor most.

If you are using a game for benchmarking your processor and getting the values f the framerates then see to it that you run another application that runs at real time speed to see if your processor gets into a bottleneck while executing the commands. Never try playing he games in online mode as the results may vary. In online gaming, the game tries to optimize the framerate to a consistent level to avoid the other players from getting lagged. So I recommend you to avoid online gaming to get benchmarking of your processor. Also keeps a look on the temperatures of your CPU as it may rise above the normal temperature resulting in overheating. Try reducing the temperature as it can pose a serious threat to your processor resulting in damage.

I have an AMD Phenom X4 955BE processor in my system which I have done benchmarking on. I used Wprime 1024 to perform the benchmarking. The tests that were run using Wprime 1024 showed that processor at speed of 3.3 GHz beat the processor which was set a 4.2 GHz. If you use Wprime 1024 on your AMD FX 6100, then it will complete the benchmarking in time of around ten to fifteen minutes. But on my processor, that is AMD Phenom X4 955BE takes around forty to fifty minutes. I recommend you that you use Wprime 1024 for benchmarking rather than playing games.

I think that time required for benchmarking should not be considered. I recommend you that let the time taken be more than you expected or needed, you must give preference to the results that you will get and results that you should achieve. Also I suggest that playing games method gives a good result for benchmarking, but it is not considered as a professional way of benchmarking. Many dedicated softwares like Wprime 1024 as mentioned in one of the above replies are available. You can use them. They too provide a good result and are useful when you have to save time. AMD FX 6100 is a superior processor as compared to AMD Phenom X4 955BE. You cannot compare the results that you have acquired on each of them. They are completely different processors and comparing them will misguide you.

When benchmarking AMD FX 6100 remember to set the settings of the RAM on its stock mode. If not set and an overclocked or a modified RAM is used, than many time it would not allocate full resources for the benchmarking process. See to it that even the NB is set to its stock settings. I have an overclocked processor of frequency 5.5 GHz. It took me just 170 seconds to find the benchmarking values using Wprime 1024. So it is not the time that decides quality of benchmarking but the vales and consistency of the framerate that we get. Also remember that AMD processors have a low quality of architecture which makes it more vulnerable to failures.

I don’t think that making any comparisons between AMD FX 6100 and AMD Phenom X4 955BE is right. These two processors are completely of different types. They are designed for different purposes and made with different architectures. You cannot expect them to give same results while benchmarking test is run on them. You can compare two processors of same series as they are designed with keeping same purpose in mind and their architecture too doesn’t differ much. I think that this comparison which is in discussion is completely wrong and should be avoided. It will always give a different result and you will always have problems.

I suggest that you underclock AMD FX 6100 processor before you are running the benchmarking test on it. Underclocking the AMD FX 6100 processor will show a small increase in cpnNB. See to it that the cpnNB and the RAM are on the Stock settings when you are trying to underclock the processor. As mentioned in one of the replies that comparison should not be made between AMD Phenom X4 955BE and AMD FX 6100 processor as the timings and the speed between them usually differs a lot. Also the bandwidth of the CPUs can be different which affects the tests that you run. Even a small change in bandwidth can result in big change in timings of the CPU.

The benchmarking results that you get on your system may always not be similar to someone else’s system as not jut processor, but also other peripherals differ in your system. When benchmarking, even your graphic card gets involved. Also if the brand or series of graphic cards differ with the person whose benchmarking results you are comparing with yours, ten it will obviously be different. Due to this you will try to achieve the benchmarking values for your system that are not possible. Even the cooling system of the systems plays a role in getting different values.