Thread: PC is unstable, No Overclocking on Core i3 and Patriot 'Sector 5' RAM

PC is unstable, No Overclocking on Core i3 and Patriot 'Sector 5' RAM

My friend helped to build a new computer few months ago. It was working fine without any issues at that time. But now I am getting frequent crashes. I run the memtest 86 and within an hour I got
    • RAM 0: 3 errors
    • RAM 3: 1 errors

So the test showed that both memory modules are faulty. Then I tried the memtest 86 with only one RAM stick in DIMM slots but the computer had crashed mid-test. What do you think now? Is it the RAM fault or CPU fault? I am on onboard graphics. The system specs are as follows:
    • Intel Core i3-550 @ 3.2 GHz (stock)
    • MSI E33 motherboard
    • Patriot 'Sector 5' 2x2Gb = 4Gb @ 1600Mhz)

Re: PC is unstable, No Overclocking on Core i3 and Patriot 'Sector 5' RAM

For system Crash, the Bad RAM is obviously a reason than a CPU.

Do you have any good RAM to test?

Can you check the temps of the CPU?

Did you find your RAM is the compatibility list of the motherboard?

Run Prime95 as well and see for problems. Also make sure that RAM is also compatible for memory controller and CPU memory cache.

In my case same thing was happening. When I go for to read memory timings, there it seems to be read correctly. I was getting 9-9-9-24 which is same as described in the memory specs. Along with this there were also other numbers. I have also downloaded the memtest86 v3.5 and PC reboots on the very first test. So I don’t think that it could be the memory module problem. The memtest86 itself might not able to run properly.

Download Blue Screen View. It is a free little program that reads the memory dump which will help you to identify what was the precise cause of the BSOD.

If you put in the same manual settings that the BIOS's drive to go for strength, make sure that the ram timings are correct (I suggest you also set these manually, as the frequency of the ram), and especially Procio voltages and Load Line Calibration not Settle for VDROP. However, if you have the multiplier unlocked, acting only with what you should have no problems whatsoever. Disable all the potential energy savings and protections to excessive temperatures or frequencies.

Try changing the ram slots and use the other two, it might be a slot to give you problems with dual channel

Generally but very likely you also have to increase your Vqpi and / or vcpu PLLL.

How did you notice that it is a RAM and CPU problem? Memtest errors do not really indicate the RAM module is completely faulty. Frequent crash could also be due to the AHCI problem! However this is probably due to the OS that has not or that the driver is not active because you install in IDE mode. If you are under Windows 7 you can change the key value: HKLM \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Msahci \ Star t the register to 0. You must then re-enable AHCI mode from bios, which ought to stop your problem.

Can you tell me the default voltage of your motherboard memory bank? I assume that it is somewhat near to the 1.8v. In that case you I will really need a RAM module that is 1.8v without OC, which will discard "compatibility" issue. You can either keep it as 1.8v or move on but keep in that that there are also other memory specs like on motherboard which might be looking at no-ECC, no-Parity, non-Registered, etc... So "bad memory" is not always cause of the issue. The memtest can also throw errors when voltage mismatched, requirements mismatched etc.

You have not overclocked your system but it is still unstable. In that case better overclock a bit now and see if it can change anything. There are no guidelines by which they explain very well the whole process of overclocking, if you did not know. As for your problem, you better start up the multiplier before the FSB (if you can). By raising the FSB will not go up much at once and always testing the system stability. When you arrive at a value that is not stable FSB you have two options. Either lower a bit to more stable value or leave it at that value up unstable and the voltage a bit.

I think that it is better to put a full stop over this thread now. I am very thankful for all of your suggestions. So far I have got good information about how to check the stability of the system. I understood that I have to do everything normally and manually one by one. First I will move on to RAM, then on processor and at last on remaining parts like motherboard, GPU, BIOS, CMOS, PCI cards etc. Let me see where I can get bug.

mybattery Guest

I think the i5 is more better than i3. The cpu will affect the computer. So pls. choose a good cpu, it is better for us. Such as the Toshiba pa3536u battery, it can work well, the Toshiba computer is also good.