Thread: Intel Core i7-920 Processor not working properly after overclock

Intel Core i7-920 Processor not working properly after overclock

Hello friends, recently I have overclocked my Intel Core i7-920 Processor and when I am checking settings then it is been shown something different. It is like that when I am turning off turbo boost off in Bios then bios setting are 20 x 180 with realtemp and when I am checking on CPU-Z then it showing me 21 x 180. Even there is been changes in voltage also, such that turn on prime95 the CPU-Z is telling me I am running at 3.8 GHz with 1.184 vcor, which I find it to be little strange such that getting 1.184 when running prime95 and getting 1.12 when it is idle. When I am set it to 1.225 and multiplier at 20 x not 21 x and running it for a hour in prime95, then it is been working properly and it is not even crashing it. Is there anyone who is getting same thing which I am getting it and also is there any method which is needed to work? Please do tell me about it. Thank you.

Re: Intel Core i7-920 Processor not working properly after overclock

That it is nothing new, you might be getting difference in voltage and it is been seen every processor. Whatever you getting it are vDroop and you do not worry about it when you are having a very stable system. If you are running it at 21 x then it is very much proper and best one. Even you can set in from BIOS.

That it is been problem for me, when I am trying to set it 21 then it cannot be done, it is saying that in can set it to 20 which is been maximum for my motherboard. If u wanted to get 21 then there is only method to do it which is through turbo. I have enable LLC due to which is stopping vdroop. Whatever setting I do it gets crashed after 15 minutes, due to which I have to come back again to 3.4 (19x180) and also to lower vcore and qtt with 70C that also maximum temperature for it. What I know is that bit of boost in voltage will be affecting it and can give a stable 3.8. Only one thing which I am doubts is that whatever are windows is reading and what I see it in BIOS.

Let me clear you that LLC is been used so that it can have some limit on vDroop but you might be able to see some of them. If it is not been showing 21 multi when you have turned off turbo then I am not at all sure about it. When you window is reading it then it is being taken in load time and if you are checking in BIOS then it is being in idle time. So there is been difference between that and due to which you are getting different readings.

Configuration which I am having is been perfect for me, whereas I have kept it to 19*180 and also it is been displaying that much. I have searched some information about multipliers and got to know that multipliers are not possible on each and every chip, it is been different for every. I have my entire test in 19 x but I was expecting to have 3.8 GHz then it has been jumped to 21 that period of time. Also tired it with other FSBs and it just goes to 21 x regardless of turbo.

But I do not understand your temperature with an overclock so low. 75C under stress are so many. I also had an i7 920. Check the imprint that leaves the thermal paste on CPU and on the basis of support of said. If the fingerprint is not uniform you're placing badly. You can still create instability. I say this because if you make of overclocking you must be ready to solve problems and understand what you do.

The overclocking involves an increase of temperatures in components in which is carried out (in this case mainly the CPU), for this reason it is important to use a cooling system adapted to the frequency that we want to use. With the stock heatsink (original) will be a slight improvement in performance, but with a high-end heatsink we can get to 4 GHz, this frequency is recommended to overcome a liquid cooling system. The case has a good importance. Premise that each CPU reaches maximum frequencies different, and also requires different voltages mainly for the Vcore. For example a sample to be stable at 4 GHz, may require at least 1.20 V 1.23 V another, etc.

CPU, chipset voltage and QPI voltage should be considered together. QPI voltage, typically 1.1 volts over the base is about 1.3 volts. Some people work QPI voltage set to the CPU core voltage of 1.2 volts, make recommendation; however, to test the eyes of 1.3 volts were free. 965EE just too much, the voltage to 1.5 volts, such as CPU and tried the test. In addition to derive the best performance for memory over-voltage is required. Note that the memory voltage to 1.65 volts CPU exceeded, adverse effects (severe damage) is that you can have. But most of that is used in Core i7 DDR3 memory voltage of 1.66 volts or higher voltage is required because the fortunate.

Core i7 stock temperature is stable for use are different from time to time. Internet searches, according to all three models, the Core i7 is the maximum allowable temperature of 67.9 degrees Celsius was. However, the thermostat with a heat spreader (heat sink) if you have used is the maximum temperature measured. Therefore, the Core i7's four cores operate at maximum load if all comes out well 82 degrees. Use as well as a better hand on the big issue right now, probably would not have lasted five years, the CPU is evident. Although the optimal level on to 70 degrees, 80 degrees or less can be called to a cool environment.