Thread: Cannot overclock with Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 GPU BOOST

Cannot overclock with Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 GPU BOOST

I have recently bought the new Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 GPU. I know that this is a very good card but there are some of the things that I don’t like about this card. It is nice that it helps us to dynamically overclock te card for some of the demanding games but it is impossible to overclock normally.

For the games, similar to the Unreal Tournament 3, Race Driver Grid etc, if I run it with the max settings and have the AA turned on then this result to taxing enough and because of that the game get slowdown with a single-gpu. Even if the card comes to point to shutdown then also it failed to detect the requirement for adjusting itself and it is because these are older games. It ca n overclock well with the Serious Sam 3 and Crysis but for the older games, it makes problem. Earlier, I was using the SLI setup and because of that running the games through anti-aliasing was not the problem. Is there any fix for this?

Re: Cannot overclock with Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 GPU BOOST

With the earlier generation, Nvidia resolved the 3D-mode GPU clock speeds as well as voltage. They put the things derived from the "worst-case scenario" games as well as applications in order to guarantee the steadiness. With the help of the GPU Boost, they have worked for the fixed clock speeds. Now it becomes possible for the GPU to clock automatically according to the real-time monitoring and this goes as high as probable and this is under the power and thermal envelope and this ensures the stability. Because of this, GPU controls the added GPU horsepower and this was missed with the earlier generation.

I would like to tell you that the total spare headroom is accessible is depend on how the application is rendering and this is not required your frame rate. GPU Boost is nothing but the game-enabling benefit. This is neither based on the profiling of titles nor the older/newer. This is completely based on the existence of accessible headroom.

If you see the details for the GPU Boost then you will find that there are two overclocking functions made for this and that is…
    • To boost the power target: This is useful to support GPU to Boost further.
    • To boost the clock speed offset: Because of this the GPU will run with the quicker minimum clock and along with this, it will also raise the Boost clock.

If you want the maximum overclocking then it will be possible for you to accomplish both on the same time. It does not guarantee for the stability with overclocking and also not been covered under the GPU's warranty.

I have tried by increasing the AA and AF from the control panel and with this I found that the card is working harder and this is getting overclocked automatically.

I think that there is issue with the GPU Boost feature. This is full of bugs. According to me, it will be better if they can provide us some option so that we can turn on or off the GPU Boost according to our choice. I am thinking of this because if we will be able to turn off the GPU boost then it will be possible for us to make the overclocking a lot easier and set the GPU clock according to our choice.

Are you using the 120hz monitor? If yes then it will be better for you try by enabling the Vsync. Just see if this can help you or not.

Note that GPU Boost greatly complicates GPU overclocking as it is difficult to test if the maximum frequency required in individual cases is really stable, in our case 125 MHz entailed a crash in some cases and that seemed simple. This is good technology but it has also created some additional difficulty. It also imposes a torque voltage / frequency predefined by Nvidia which limits the flexibility, at least until more advanced software allows potential to force a higher voltage. In the meantime you can forget the big GPU overclocking.

We also able to overclock the GeForce GTX 680 by increasing the GPU frequency of 100 MHz (it varies between 1106 MHz and 1210 MHz) and memory frequency of 300 MHz, which then goes to 1800 MHz. The consumption limit was then pushed to the maximum, 32% is 224W.

I don’t think that there is any need to do any overclocking. This card is made in the best way from Nvidia and I really liked the technology. I don’t like to take risk and doing higher overclocking may lead to damage some hardware.