Thread: Overclocking Intel Core i5-2500k using Multi LLC, VCore and Wattage.

Overclocking Intel Core i5-2500k using Multi LLC, VCore and Wattage.

I recently purchased an Intel Core i5-2500k to replace my old Intel Core i5-750. I want to overclock the processor and maximize the energy simultaneously. I tried everything in my knowledge and I could achieve speed of 51x. I was researching for the optimal settings on which the chip can be stable; I found that multi line load calibration was inter-related to the issue of power consumption. I have also tested many clocks ranging from 4.40GHz to 4.70GHz has found them compatible and stable to work along with Intel Core i5-2500k. I find these clock speeds to be providing enough speed to the processor in limited amount of energy. The temperature too remained under control. Has anyone else overclocked an Intel Core i5-2500k processor before, I would like to know how it is done efficiently? Also what precautions should I take to avoid any disastrous results?

Re: Overclocking Intel Core i5-2500k using Multi LLC, VCore and Wattage.

You can choose 4.5 GHz as a final 24/7 clock to work on the overclocking process of your chip. You have to then enable 4 energy saving features namely C1E, C3/C6, EIST and Intel Thermal Monitor. You will need to disable, Multi Line Load Calibration. The values for other attributes should be,
    • 1.360 Vcore
    • 1.150 QPI/VTT
    • 1.100 Graphic Core
    • 1.815 CPU PLL
    • 1.510 DRAM
    • 888-24 1T Turbo Performance

The amount of VCore mentioned will e enough to pass 1024M of vPrime. Now enable the Multi LLC and note down the readings.
    Now keep the value of VCore stable and keep reducing the Multi LLC from level 10 to Level 5. You will see the wattage consumption reducing with great numbers.

This will generate a pattern which shows that the processor is now applying voltage of value above normal to the lighter threaded applications. Prime95 and Link64 are the heaviest benchmarks which consume large amount of wattage. Cinebench R11.5 and wPrime 1024M require less energy for working, but the underloaded voltage will rise up to 1.48 V. I can’t tell you exactly how much more voltage will be required. But the VCore and Multi LLC will cancel each other. I mean, if you enable the VCore in BIOS and also enable the Multi Line Load Calibration, then the effect of VCore will not affect your processor much.

I haven’t tested a socket 1155 Gigabyte board or even a z68 chipset board ever. But I can’t say if you can overclock an Intel processor using low value of vccio (vtt/qpi). I think that if value of DRAM is set at 1200 MHz, then the IMC will experience a lot of stress while overclocking. At level 5 of Multi LLC, Prime small fft and LinX will generate more load on the processor. This will increase the chances of the processor being unstable and might abort whole process in between. Compare the benchmarks with Multi Line Load Calibration. Make a note of values for combo voltages. If the values for combo voltages are consistent, then your overclocking process is progressing fine. You should also try overclocking the processor using the DVID VCore settings instead of fixed VCore settings.

I prefer using offset voltage option while overclocking an Intel processor. With this, the voltage seems to be more stable at idle status of the processor. It maintains the voltage when the processor is under heavy load.

At speed of 45x of processor using the dynamic VCore, the processor becomes most unstable. I ran Prime95 under these conditions and my PC shutdown after 10 minutes. By setting the value of VCore to 1.300 V and the Multi LLC at level 5, I thought that I would achieve stability. I couldn’t achieve 100% stability, but it was stable than he previous settings. But this came with a cost of high temperature. The temperature of my processor was displayed as 800C.

You can set he value of Dynamic VCore to 0.060, I found it as most stable for most systems. Also the temperature will be maintained around value of 700C with value of Vcore at 1.28V and DRAM at 1.56V.

Load the VCore at 4.7 GHz with DVID offset assigned. You should observe the behavior of RAM in this situation. Is the RAM stable, is the temperature to high for the RAM or is the RAM responding well to your system? You will have to study all these points. You will need to see if the condition of the heatsink is good or is it giving any problems. You can also try to underload your processor with Prime95 in sFFTs mode. Also note down the time till which the processor maintains stability. Also note that with Multi LLC enabled, the stability of your system reduces as the value of VCore increases. Using Prime95 to find the BSOD error is not recommended. Instead you can use variety of short and hard hitting benchmarking applications. This will save big amount f energy of your system.

I have overclocked many processors of Intel in my working experience. I can tell you that need for maintaining the temperature will arise as you start achieving stability in your system. To maintain the temperature at normal, you will need to work on the heatsink regularly. Also if the temperature reaches 1000C you will need to abort the process at that point. Also remove the CMOS battery in overheated condition as it can be easily harmed.