Thread: Advise for changing from Dual Core processor to Quad Core processor

Advise for changing from Dual Core processor to Quad Core processor

I have a PC which uses Dual Core processor. I am planning to change the processor to Quad core. I know how to it but still I am paranoid that something will go wrong in the process. I have never changed the processor completely. I mean, I have worked as an assistant for a technician. She taught me to change the processor but never allowed me to perform the task individually. Can someone advice me over this issue about the sequence in which the parts must be assembled? Like I am still confused about when to insert CPU and RAM, that is, after PSU is connected or before it. Also I am confused about the sequence in which the RAM, CPU and CMOS should be installed.

Re: Advise for changing from Dual Core processor to Quad Core processor

While working on processor, see to it that you are wearing a good pair of gloves. The gloves should be able to prevent any dust or other such things to come in contact with the electronic parts. Any contact between them can create trouble in working of your system. See to it that the gloves are made of anti-static material. A static charge that will affect the electronic peripherals can prove more harmful than the static that is generated internally. As your question suggests that you are performing the processor change for the first time, I tell you that you will met failure may times. But let me advice you that you shouldn’t quit. If you get frustrated, take a walk for 5 to 10 minutes.

Flashing of BIOS one of the toughest part that comes during the change of processors. According to my experience, when I first tried to flash the BIOS, I failed around 5 times before successfully flashing it. I recommend you to download the manual for flashing the BIOS from the website of your processor’s manufacturer. To flash the BIOS you will need a utility that will complete the process. This utility comes in Windows version and DOS mode version. The DOS mode version is more stable and good to se. But to use it, you must know the DOS commands in detail

Before flashing the BIOS, see to it that the CMOS battery is properly working. While flashing and setting he BIOS the computer needs to refer the date and time. This date and time is used to set expiry date or time or spawn time or date for certain periodic processes that your system must perform. If the date and time is not set, BIOS will create problems while setting the time of various processes. Even if the BIOS is flashed properly without CMOS battery, problems will be noticed when the dates in OS and that of BIOS will start mismatching. This will just create the confusion for the user.

I don’t know if your motherboard supports Advanced Clock Calibration or Core Unlocker. But if your motherboard has support for it, then I suggest you to use it. It will help motherboard to read and write the BIOS data quicker than normal.

Many people considering flashing each version of compatible BIOS until one reaches the level where the latest can be flashed. This process used to work in old processors. But in the modern processors, there is no need to do this. One can simply flash he latest version of BIOS directly. Many people also use F9 BIOS considering it as latest. Yes, I agree that it is latest but it has not been declared as Beta yet. Many issues regarding its stability still exist. You can use the F9 BIOS for testing the functions of your processor but I won’t suggest you to use it on your system.

You won’t find instructions for Core unlocking in the manual of your processor or motherboard. This is because not every motherboard has this function. Another reason is ha not many BIOS versions support it. Core Unlocker was first introduced for revised version of BIOS F5. So you won’t find it for any BIOS before it. Even F9 BIOS doesn’t support this function.

You should use Intel Burn test regularly to check the temperature of the processor. It works on all Intel processors and Phenom II processors. It will be useful to check he temperature when the CPU is put under intense stress. I recommend you to make 15 passes of Intel Burn test while measuring the temperature using HWMonitor.