Thread: What is Overclocking Capability of Intel Core i7 960 processor?

What is Overclocking Capability of Intel Core i7 960 processor?

Hello friends, I have ordered the final component (Intel Core i7 960) of my first build. Due to something I am not able to find out information about overclocking ability of the 960 itself. Most of people have told that I should go for 920 and bring it to 3.2 to save some cash, but does you people think about it? I have wasted 300$ for a processor which is more powerful stock speed but it not at all overclock potential. Please tell me what your thoughts about it are and what I should do. Thank you.

Re: What is Overclocking Capability of Intel Core i7 960 processor?

It will be going to better overclock potential in compare to lower chips. But I think that 5ghz more worth the 300, whereas I presently having 920 and it is very much stable at 4 GHz with 20x multi and I am very much happy with it. Well I was planning to upgrade to 930 well there was no progress Overclock from 4.0 stable oc to a 4.3 OC isn’t worth it according to my opinion. If you are able to cancel order then try to that and take 930, which is really best and also the chip to purchase 10$ more than the 920.

Quote Originally Posted by Baljeetay View Post
    Hello friends, well I have ordered the final component (Intel Core i7 960) of my first build. Well due to something I am not able to find out information about overclocking ability of the 960 itself. Well most of people have told that I should go for 920 and bring it to 3.2 to save some cash, but does you people think about it? I have wasted 300$ for a processor which is more powerful stock speed but it not at all overclock potential. Please tell me what your thoughts about it are and what I should do. Thank you.
    I would say yes that you wasted 300$ for a processor which is more powerful stock speed but it not at all overclock potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerius View Post
    Well it will be going to better overclock potential in compare to lower chips. But I think that 5ghz more worth the 300, whereas I presently having 920 and it is very much stable at 4 GHz with 20x multi and I am very much happy with it. Well I was planning to upgrade to 930 well there was no progress Overclock from 4.0 stable oc to a 4.3 OC isn’t worth it according to my opinion. If you are able to cancel order then try to that and take 930, which is really best and also the chip to purchase 10$ more than the 920.
    That is not all correct. The entire of LGA 1366 i7 chips are binned so near to each other for which you will not able to see difference in overclocking ability among them. The only time purchasing anything other than the 920/930 will be even at all reasonable is if you are benching with fast change or liquid nitrogen cooling. It is not all worth with hundreds and hundreds of dollars price difference otherwise. If it is not late for you, then I would suggest returning the 960 for a 920, then wasting money saved elsewhere, such that purchasing an SSD, nice graphics card, anything else which you like to have it.

It's also an even multiplier, which is a proven no-no on 1366 (for higher overclocking anyway) If 4ghz is your goal, then a 920 allows a perfect pairing with 1600mhz Ram. 200 Base clocks, allows a perfect divider for 1600 MHz. Now if you can feed a 930 the volts required for 200 Bclk, and keep your temps down, that would be ideal. You’re talking 4.4 GHz either way, you made a better decision than the 960. If you don't have LN2, then don't even bother. Coming from someone who's had both, my 960 would barely match my 920 in suicide validation.