Thread: How to apply thermal compound/paste?

How to apply thermal compound/paste?

Hello friends, what is your preferred method of applying thermal compound/paste? Just thinking to apply it on my CPU but did not getting which method is perfect and also which will be perfectly for me. So does anyone know which is the methods work and proper for me. Please help me. Thank you.

Re: How to apply thermal compound/paste?

Let me tell you my experience about it, where as I have tried plenty of methods to work it but nothing has worked. Whereas I tried dab o'paste in the center and also locking the heat sink down on top of it method, as it was been suggest to me to do it. It was not all difficult to do it. Well when I have done it then thermal pastes only covered about half of the CPU and even try to spread the compound with glove and founded compound was so sticky and it was been stuck on to glove and due to which I was not able to spread it on heat sink. Well even was been told that spreading it with a paper towel might work, so doing with that then it is leaving behind fibers in the thermal paste and it dry the paste out quicker, I think that it not a great method well it is working in pinch. Well I feel that method of spreading it on the CPU with help of credit card or other flat semi-rigid device will be helpful and also better one. I would like to know is CPU has full coverage before setting HeatSink down on it. I feel that this method will be nice for me even coating that is not too thick and excess ends up on the card, so this can be used on Northbridge or Southbridge chipset also.

Earlier I was having P4 and have upgraded it to latest one. I have read it first online that first put very little and spread it on the CPU and heatsink after that put a pea sized drop on to middle and when done with it then place my heatsink on to it. Well there is no need to spread it like I have done in and as I was using p4 and paste was good enough. Let me tell you that Arctic silver are having guide about how to do it according to your processor.

Let me tell you that I will be stick with a razor blade cleaned with alcohol beforehand. Which I think it is really nice and also better thing to have it.