Thread: Need information on my 32GB RAM ESXi whitebox build.

Need information on my 32GB RAM ESXi whitebox build.

Hello friends can anyone tell me that whether the following part will be working together giving me a system with 32GB Ram that will be running ESXi4.1u1. the memory in the above part is 16GigaByte 1066MegaHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL7 DIMM QR, x8 w/Therm Sen. Can anyone suggest whether the subsequent parts will work together to give me a system with 32GB RAM that can run ESXi4.1u1 The memory is explained in the as So, it's quad ranked, and the memory matchabilty list on the super micro catalogs a quad graded Hynix 8GB DIMM as being held up. Expectantly that way that the Kingston RAM above will be well-matched?

Re: Need information on my 32GB RAM ESXi whitebox build.

I will rather advise you that you should be going for a Sandybridge E3-12xx in place of a gen Xeon. They are equivalent as far as the price is concerned. Go for a Supermicro X9SCL and a
    Xeon E3-1230

Well in this regard I will say that putting Kingston quad rank ECC registered RAM in the second bank will be resulting into the RAM rate to fall down to 800Mhz. According to some of the discussion I have seen that the above consideration is true. It does seem that 4 sticks of that particular RAM from Kingston might be working fine. I am unable to believe I guess I can purchase the 8GB sticks for ~£125. Has the cost of 8GB sticks just lately fallen or It has not been paid the proper attention.

I have been looking for those and from my experience3 I can say that at some of those 1155 boards and AFAICT You could only be using the DIMMs in existing there. Registered 8GB DIMMs are notably the lot cheaper than which are unregistered. Well I am not sure if I am correct and I would love to hear if someone points out the flaw, it does appear a disgrace to be purchasing last gen parts.

In my belief the giga-byte boards are not having any ECC hold up. I didn't understand Intel exposed registered ECC support while moving from the last gen UP to current gen UP servers. While 4GB Unbuffered ECC DIMM's are relatively common, it would seem that 8GB Unbuffered are remarkably uncommon. It's kind of depressing, but it would appear that going with last gen board will be the improved alternative if you require that much memory. or else, you have to shift up to a DP Xeon board.

I would like to ask you here that Have you thought-out a used already built up server, like an HP DL360? Additional ram slots, means you can use smaller DIMMs, which are cheaper. 8GB dimms are pretty pricy. You'd need to populate both sockets in order to use all the slots though.

Well I would like to tell you that I hadn't measured a prebuilt server. Maybe I will be going to have a look at the specs on the DL360, My ovation for this. From what I have perceived via Google shopping I don’t think that there is a huge gap between the costs of a 4 x 4GB ECC Kingston memory kit as compared to the 2 x 8GB kit.

Well to tell you that I am for now running the ESXi 4.1 On this specified rig: X8SIE-LN4, Xeon X3440, 4x 8GB Registered ECC Dimms (KVR1066D3Q8R7S/8G). And I am telling you that this is working great. I am making use of the 8 virtual machines (essentially a full 2K8 domain). That’s fair and it is working well. If you are looking to choose this route I am advising you to be VERY cautious with your RAM purchase - and pay a great deal of concentration to what Supermicro is saying and it will be working in what slots. The most helpful site in this regard will be I guess Kingston site.

Its good to observe that Your X8SIE is making use of the similar chipset as the X8SIA-F and the memory you have been using is the same as the stuff I am proposing you to get. Any ways thanks a lot for this information.

Thank you for letting us know your configuration! I am looking to go for the similar configuration. I just have made an outline that SuperMicro X9SCM/Intel C20x boards don't hold up the memories which are registered. So your setup is seemingly very great! Apart from this I am having some of the question and I would greatly appreciate your help
    1.) How you have configured your datastores?
    2.) Are you making use of the single physical disks to ESXi or a RAID controller card?
    3.) are you capable to check events in ESXi logs If you have used a RAID card,?
    4.) is your RAM ever fallen down to 800Mhz If you use 32GB of RAM (4x8GB, all 4 slots occupied), (instead of 1066?)

The board in fact is supporting 32 GigaByte of RAM which I actually loved, and it is having remote administration which also ropes virtual media (which I think is a much enhanced advantage). Now I don’t require putting a CD/DVD drive on it and as it is having the internal USB port and I am going to make use of the ESXi on this machine that will be functioning just fine for the ESXi install place. I used a number of memories I am actually having for now, but I still need to order a few as it only having 8 GB at present. unluckily it looks like very picky on RAM and I probably will be making use 4 GB sticks and will be having the 16 GB RAM per host.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am going look forward towrds your suggestion. Thanks a ton !