Thread: i7 950 core temperature

i7 950 core temperature

I am receiving temperature values through coretemp as 99.7 in the short to middle 80's in my computer i7-950. Because of this I am getting frequent failures in time after nearly 20 minutes prime95 run. My core uses CNPS9700 cooler which I think still not enough to control temperature. In ASROCk tuner the temperature of the CPU shows up at 69c. I am using MB ASROCK x58 EXTREME motherboard and the CPU voltage has been set to 1.3v. Is this seems to be high temp for core? After disabling HT the core temperature falls to high 60's low 70's. The actual stress is while playing games in that PC. Can anyone provide me some information about the core temperatures? I will be much appreciated for this useful information.

Re: i7 950 core temperature

When I gone through your issue I found you are getting trouble because of failing to Prime95. Now my question is the temperature which you have mentioned in post are those the idle temperature? In order to give you some solution or information about temperature need some of the information about your current settings. What I need is the full details of BIOS setting. You need to refer the details of vcore, QPI/VTT, dram voltage, BCLK, multiplier etc. do some manual setup there to lower the temperature. Did you disable any power cutback features on the board such as C1E, EIST, C-States?

What type of RAM you are currently using in your computer? Did you notice the Dram frequencies on those? How do you overclocking, from the OS or BIOS? Are you sure you have set the VTT voltage to 1.3V. I am asking you because when you are going to set these voltages manually sometime it will not accept some value. It just recovers to its default voltage even after setting. So I think that some of the voltages are still high. So try to lower those first. This will help you to get rid of temperature issue.

As far as my concern the current VTT and CPU voltages are still high as compared to the reading of the temperature. So I urge you to reduce the VTT temp to 1.20v and adjust the CPU down to 1.25 v and see whether you are getting the cool temperature or not. How the CPU-Z value? Is it low or high? If it is very low then the temp value may be get high. Once it raises the temp value decreases.

Your CPU’s highest temperature is 100C. While you’re operating at 60C, the sensor or the coretemp will report value as-40. The two behaviors a program can account an imprecise temperature. First, if the coretemp program isn’t set with the correct upper limit temperature for CPU, all the gains will be counterbalancing that error. Due to inaccuracies in the sensors may also cause wrong result. Keep your Intel Core i7 CPU below 80C. It is the healthy temperature for i7 processor.