Thread: How to overclock Corsair Dominator RAM

How to overclock Corsair Dominator RAM

I have 4x1GB DDR2 PC-8500 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 Corsair Dominator. The problem is that my EVGA nForce 780i SLi FTW does not detect my RAM, as they were there. I've found that it is PC-6400 800MHz 5-5-5-18. I am very much unsure of how to get this to what they want. Last time I tried turning down the timing to 4-4-4-12 or something, it was the frame that should be able to run at 800MHz, I did not change the voltage or something. I was not sure about how to overclock RAM. This time I want to be prepared. What must be done, what can go wrong? Is there a chance to burn the RAM if you do as it should be done? I have no temperature gauge on my RAM. How do I know the RAM clocks that can not be more, or that I have to turn up the voltage? Is it easy to just be turning up the FSB to the PC crashes and then turn up the voltage a bit to check if it is stable, then repeat the process? What about timing? Let them be in default?

Re: How to overclock Corsair Dominator RAM

Keep on monitoring the svid while you are setting the timing to make sure if there is something terribly wrong with your computer, at least when not touched volts. FSB x number of Ram stick = ram frame rate (x), effective rate since it's ddr2. If you are running 400 then it is at 800 MHz. FSB is also affected by the CPU based on multi-cpu module. FSB overclocking thus depends on both ram and cpu. You may only change the multiple ram up a notch (to be well down in terms of again it is 1:1, 1:2, etc... )

With the help of HP support I have unlinked FSB. Now I have overclocked the CPU FSB from 1333 to 1500. However the RAM is still at 800. Since the voltage was on auto, can this be the reason why I got the message which indicates too much power to burn out RAM? But really it should not happen anything wrong if I just turn up the FSB little by little as I increase the voltage in part without going over the border into the DIMM? What happens when I have too high rate? Do I get a BSOD or PC just freezes? Can I damage RAM at too low voltage or high frequency?

With the help of unlinked FSB or BLCK you can certainly set the frame to the desired frequency without putting linked FSB, and increasing this. And for the later question related to high frequency of ram, you can get the problem like BSOD, freezing, and the remaining computer will not boot at all. In either of the situations you just have to reset the bios and you can still further continue with your test. For low-voltage leads only to what is mentioned above, it is not dangerous. As long as you stay within the manufacturer's voltage on the chips 20+% this will probably go very well, they may die after several years' time, but then it threw enough anyway

Thanks for your concerned. I will definitely try to clock the frame once I am satisfied with the CPU clock, this is going to be exciting anyhow. But one more question that hits my mind is that is there much performance to retrieve from RAM anyway? Until today I have never done much overclocking expect changing the cpu voltages. Do you think it is worth to overclock RAM?

Yes, of course you can definitely gain a little from this, but you should not expect too much from here. Even I had Corsair dominator 8500 once but I never tried to do overclocking on it. But with a good motherboard you can always put a 1:1 on the frame and have 533fsb; it serves little to run that way, but not all motherboards can manage 533fsb. P35 and P45 motherboards are almost a must when it comes to overclocking. And possibly no more than C2D cpu; quad requires more from the motherboard. Overclock only cpu first. Increase the Vcore by instability. You may experience FSB hole, when the FSB frequency is not stable at all, then you may try a little higher FSB (doubt you'll meet again like that, but good to know). Please note the max voltage recommended by intel is: 1.3725v believe me but the CPU does not die overnight with 1.4 provided it is not fried.