Thread: Perfect motherboard for overclocking Q6600

Perfect motherboard for overclocking Q6600

I was having Q6600 with a Asus P5B-VM motherboard. But there was some issue with the motherboard, so now I want to change it. Also I will be doing overclocking with the Q6600. I am looking for some good (perfect) motherboard for overclocking Q6600. I thought that you champs must be knowing about it. Please tell me about the query in details. I am expecting some quick response from your side.

Re: Perfect motherboard for overclocking Q6600

Chipset and manufacturers are, as always a philosophy. Who is not on an SLI system is (and these are the most), should generally prefer the current Intel chipsets. I want to inflaming Manufacturer discussion, but there were too many difficulties and incompatibilities with nVidia chipsets like the 650, 680 SLI in interaction with the overclocking of a Q6600 to give away even a thought of the mass appeal of such boards in Lisbon concrete application. As far as the new chipsets from AMD and nVidia have been adequately tested in practice, I will supplement the selection of course. Until then, I limit myself to really succeeding safe and high-performance solutions. This is a Q6600 in this particular case and there are now times currently dominate the Intel chipsets easiest.

In general, any P35 board is 75 €. I have deliberately made the experiments with low-priced boards (such as the Gigabyte P35-DS3). The experiments with cheap board like the ABIT IP35 Pro, GA-P35-DS3R and Asus P5K are all tested by me and the configurations are successfully in use for some time. Higher-priced board but offer better components (power transformers, condensers, etc.) and more interfaces and RAID functions. Who really has the money left over, which should definitely not skimp on the board.

The selection will probably ultimately decide on the budget and the brand loyalty to any manufacturer. The following considerations should still play a role primarily for the selection:
    • RAID functionality (if desired and needed). In this case, which with R or ICH9 ICH10 R are fitted!
    • Interfaces such as FireWire, BlueTooth, WLAN, etc.
    • Number of USB ports
    • Number of SATA connectors. You may also e-SATA
    • COM and LPT still needed?
    • Board layout, ie what are the connections? The Asus P5K IDE is so worse that it needed a drawn-long cable. The resulting lower speed through a 60cm + cable would already limited for hard drives and really enough for DVD drives.
    • Chipset cooling. Passive heat sink or heat pipe? A good heat pipe is always preferable, but is unfortunately a matter of money. Important decision is the choice for the cooler
    • From what BIOS version, the Q6600 is supported in the respective stepping. When the BIOS has been issued, boards are available with the BIOS (eg figure out the revision of the board). How do I flash the BIOS or what boards are already up to date?

I will now speak with intent, no manufacturer or board recommendation.
    • No initial revisions of the boards now!
    • Each manufacturer offers functionality boards. If in doubt, just googled and read the latest tests and reviews! Board Name + promote problem as the search often revealed more than an hour-long discussion in the forum! The various revisions of the boards differ too much, as that would be pinned down anywhere.
    • Note the form factor (ATX, mATX)! For the quad but only full-ATX boards are recommended.
    • All new Intel chipsets only support one IDE controller, that can connect a maximum of only 2 IDE devices! The rest must be connected as SATA. However, this applies only equipment.
    • What cable are included? How extensive is the general accessories?

Always first visit the manufacturer's side and on the equipment, compatibility information and the problems of the boards. First, first download the manual of the desired boards! This is often described more than 100 lines of advertising text. Many manufacturers have their own way, forums (Gigabyte, Asus and others). Also take a look in there.