Thread: Instability of a non-overclocked config

Instability of a non-overclocked config

I recently purchased and installed a Scythe Mugen cooler 2. With gain in temperatures observed since its start, I tried a slight increase in frequency of the process. To my great regret, no frequency seems stable. I then decided to stop my nonsense and to reset the bios to the original frequency. But now I can not find a stable config.

I'm looked internet for the solution but didn't found anyone. Indeed there is almost a year while I install my new RAM (4 GB G. Skill DDR2-1066 PC2-8500) when I had the same problem. In the present circumstances I have a Q9550 at 2.6 GHz (312 MHz FSB and a coefficient of 8.5) instead of 2.83 GHz.

I think the problem is RAM. It can not meet its specifications. With CPU-Z, "Max Bandwidth" (SPD tab) it tells me 'PC2-6400 (400MHz) Gold is the PC2-8500. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L.

Would you have ideas for, failing to overclock, at least regain stability in my config? Some easily reach the 3.5 GHz processor and I barely keep its original frequency.

Re: Instability of a non-overclocked config

Reset the bios, do it by removing the battery and unplugging the power for several minutes. For ram, it must also adjust the voltage by putting 2 or 2.1V when it is at 1066MHz and 5-5-5-15 timing. For the SPD tab of cpuz, I have the same thing. But that does not should be ram to function flawlessly. It is the memory tab to look at 400MHZ for the PC 6400 and 535Mhz for the PC 8500.

I conducted several times a CMOS clear. Restart the pc, a window appears asking me to choose between multiple profiles. There are 4 options: "Normal", "last known as good", and two others. For each profile the same result> instability. For the RAM I have actually added 0.2 V for a voltage of 2.0 V. To adjust the timings I had a doubt. My RAM is CL5-5-5-15. In the bios I changed the first 4 lowest values but there have others. Do I have returned the timings in the right place? You think that the problem could be physical? Or if you look closely you will do it all get sorted out?

Test with a voltage of 2.1 V for the RAM to check if it stays stable. For other values (excluding CL5-5-5-15) you can set automatic, normally this does not have worry. Have you looked if the FSB-RAM ratio is set and how much is your RAM that is (1066 or more or less). Your memory works by default to 1066 in bios but if you have modified this part than it can go beyond and ask for stability.

Maybe you've seriously damaged your operating system by creating an error after this overclock. It may be that you're forced to reinstall everything, it happened to me on my low-end config.

On my Kingston RAM, I have to adjust the timing to the 5th place on 50. Otherwise the PC will not start. From a high value and if it works try to lower it a little. After actually trying to 2.1V voltage.

Yes, it could be that, the OS has been damaged or otherwise. Or even memory that are incompatible. Try to test your memory with Memtest 86 + DOS (not Windows) and look if you have errors or not. If you have any, you can blame the memory. I think that clearing the CMOS can be good solution to get all the original settings and then rule it! If required then also reinstall Windows.