Thread: 5850 crossfire overclocking problems

5850 crossfire overclocking problems

I have an annoying problem when overclocking my video cards with MSI Afterburner. When I click Apply to overclock no clocking is done on both the cards to the selected speed, but if I reboot my PC, only one video card is clocked when the PC starts again. The other runs in any power saving mode (144 MHz on the core or something like that). When I then start a game, watch video number two up, but only to 725 mhz which is the default rate. Video No. 1 running simultaneously at the overclocked frequency.

To get both cards to run at the same speed I want, I must enter the MSI Afterburner and manually pressing Apply every time I start the PC. This is annoying, and feels somewhat unnecessary...

I have tried the following:
    - Disabled ATI overdrive
    - Selected "Synchronize settings for similar Graphics Processors" in the MSI Afterburner
    - Selected "Apply overclocking that system startup" in the MSI Afterburner
    - Screwed by ULPS (ultra low power state) in the register

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would be very grateful

Re: 5850 crossfire overclocking problems

Do not really understand why you are using MSI's tools because you can do the same through the ATI overdrive. If you can not clock as high through the ATI overdrive, it's just to flash the cards with a BIOS that is unlocked and set things the way you want once and for all

I use MSI Afterburner as this means I do not have to flash the BIOS. Bios flashing does well as always a certain risk. My motherboard died at a bios flash for a few weeks ago, and I'd rather avoid that this happens with video cards as well.

If it turns out that my problems with MSI Afterburner is not possible to fix, I might resort to a bios flash.

I hope however that there is someone who knows what could be wrong

Open MSI Afterburner install folder. Go into msiafterburner.cfg. Move to the end of the file and change "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0" to "[ATIADLHAL] EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1". Now you should be able to overclock your card beyond 900 MHz.

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention that I've been in the config file and changed enableunoficialoverclocking from 0 to 1. It still does not work. At first, I tried to change it to "1" but it said that I do not have access to do it. However I right clicked on the file and clicked Properties. I then unchecked Read Only property to get its access. But still the changes didn't helped my overclocking.