Thread: Safe Overclocking for i5 750

Safe Overclocking for i5 750

I have visit this site for the first time. I have posted it in hope that I will soon get it’s reply. Can anyone tell me that how safe mild to medium permanent overclocking if is done right. Actually I am getting mixed message from various sources from destroying the PCU to dramatically shortening the life of it. So that is why I am looking for the i5 750 with 4GB intel XMP RAM and Giga P55A UD4 board. So I want to ask you that mid OC at say 3.4 GHZ is this safe. There are many variables here but just a bit of help would be great.

Re: Safe Overclocking for i5 750

2 weeks back I am also looking for the same question. Then I got so much of reply regarding that but nothing seems to working in my case. So I google regarding this. And searched a lot on this then I came to know that the cooler 3.4ghz is easy. You could use 200 bclk x 17 multi for 3400mhz OR 160bclk x 21 multi for 3360mhz. Either way lets you run the ram at its rated speed of 1600mhz. I am using i5 running at 3.6ghz for 24/7 use and it is 10c cooler than it I did stock clocks with stock cooler. And ya I agree that your cooler is better than mine. When power supply goes the PSU is sufficient for the power draw of the whole system. And I don’t think it won’t be a big problem.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Hey buddy really thanks a lot for your reply. Regarding this I was very nervous but you have solve it up to little extent. Actually I have read the reviews the i5 will OC to 3.4 without raising voltage. Is voltage raising is the only reason which reduce the CPU life. Do you know any stats that advise how long CPU's would last for not over clocked and then if overclocked? Actually I don’t want to replace my CPU in 2 to 3 years of time. I have read from one of the column in digit magazine that CPU would last 10 or more than 10 years but substantially shorter if over clocked. So what to do?
    Last edited by Viceman; 08-09-2010 at 05:39 AM.

Whatever I have read till now I come to know that there are two main things first it short CPU life span is heat and second one is increased voltage. I am assuming that cooler should keep your CPU cooler than with stock cooler heat is no issue. So just keep eye on it when you overclock it. My CPU run in between 70-75 with the stock cooler but now it runs at 60C max when I play games and 65C with the stress test. As much I know 1.25v is stock for i5. Mine runs 3.6 GHZ stable at that voltage and seems to need .05v for each 200mhz up or down. I have did so many testing i have noticed this and run most of these speeds (2.66, 3.0, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8). Actually this are bios setting, , and after vdrop and vdroop are much low since atm my drop/droop seems to be really high, when set to 1.25v under load it droops to 1.185. So you don’t need to set it. And I heard that 10c above its rated temp reduces the life span. I hope it will help you.

I have just take a look that what you are saying to do. Actually I am also facing it so Thanks for your reply. I am not at this point yet where I know what vdrop and vdroop. So I think it is related to voltage drop. And I will ask some more question when I will buy my new system if you don’t mind it. I think it will take 2 week more. I am not sure that what I have to change the cpu setting or whether I have to change RAM and some other too. Please if you know anything regarding this then tell me.

I have read all post and thanks for replying. But I just want to tell you that I have tried everything but nothing seems to work in my case. And If I come to know any better solution regarding this then I will definitely post it for others who really need it. So thanks a lot one more time for those who give there opinion regarding this.

I was also facing this similar issue . When I have seen your post I also saw there that one of user tried your solution but it didn't work in his case. But then I have also tried but here my good luck it is work in my case. I am very happy because I was very worry regarding this problem. But thanks one more time for your solution.