Thread: 480 GTX cannot be overclock?

480 GTX cannot be overclock?

I have my system ready and with GTX 480. Now I want my GTX 480 to reach 850/1700. Unfortunately, this can not be achieved at all. I have tried rising my voltage, but it kicks me back to windows with a DirectX 11 error. Sometimes my monitor turns completely black like if, no signal was coming from the video card. In order to come out of this situation I have to restart the system. What should I do. Please help.

Re: 480 GTX cannot be overclock?

I think that you should go first measure the performance of the graphics card. In this way you could be able to check the stability of the card. You can go for the FurMark, which is a perfect stability and stress test tool for the graphics card since it overheats the GPU. Furmark is also called GPU burner. Try checking the stability and once you are done with this let me know soon.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

I am also trying to overclock my GTX 480 under water. I have tried various methods of doing this but nothing succeeded. I have checked the stability using MSI Kombustor, but it did not work. The programs reported errors it also reported false stability. There is no problem with this for atleast 1 hour, but after that it crashes, so, I think that this is called unstable. I also tried EVGA OC scanner(registered only for GTX 470/480 owners) but it even disappointed me. Can you help me in this context.

I thought of giving the description of my system. Intel Core i7 processor, 2x2GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 480, 1600x900 resolution, 800 Watt PSU. Now I overclocked the GPU shader clock from 1401MHz to 1660MHz. I done this using this using EVGA Precision Tool. I even managed to increase the shader clock using that EVGA tool. I also ran several benchmarks to see some fps improvements. While running those tests, I monitored the GPU temperature. the GPU fan speed to 100%, at idle it was around 45-47degrees, at full load it was around 72degrees. So I am dam sure that there is nothing like temperature problem. Do, what is actually going on? Please help.

Do one thing lower the core/shader clocks to 750/1500MHz. What I actually think is that the core and shader clocks are direct linked on the GTX 470 and 480 cards. What I mean by this is that when you adjusted the shader clock to 1660MHz the core was overclocked to 830MHz from its default 700MHz. After you lower the clock please test the stress on the card and also check for artifacts, using EVGA OC Scanner or MSI Kombustor.

I think that you all are going wrong with some settings, you can start from the basics. I can suggest you to OVERCLOCK GeForce GTX 480 with extra GPU voltage. First of all Download AfterBurner. Also please install Kombustor as well. I think that much is said about the Kombustor in the previous posts. It is optional in the install package of AfterBurner. Now follow the following sequences:
    • Properly install the drivers.
    • Now start the AfterBurner.
    • Increase the voltage on the GPU core to 1.125V using the software.
    • Now slowly increase the Shader clock frequency until your card starts showing artifacts or crashes.
    • After all the above steps your graphics card will now slowly heat up. Then increase the core frequency. Increase GPU Core clock in 25 MHz increments.
    • After each increment hit apply.
    • If some artifacts are encountered then stop Kombustor immediately or restart.
    • Don't be to afraid about a few system lockups and restarts.
    • Keep an eye on your GPU temperature as it is now reaching 90 C with 100% fan RPM.

I would say do it careful but, most of all do it at your own risk.