Thread: Core i5 655K unlocked - overclocking friendly

Core i5 655K unlocked - overclocking friendly

I got a Core i5 processor. It is a unlocked one. I want to ask about overclocking a bit. I know this processor supports overclocking. So before doing that I just need some precautionary tips which can help me to perform overclocking without damaging anything. I had download rivatuner for that and kept pc on OCCT test. It is running for last 10 hours and till now I am not getting any error issue.

Re: Core i5 655K unlocked - overclocking friendly

There is no need to worry about the same. You can overclock your processor with Rivatuner. But before overclocking just ensure that your system is stable. Run stability test more than one time and then check back out. Because usually many people avoid basic steps before overclocking due to which they system crash and gives out blue screen on the system.

After reviewing our basic overclocking, set yourself a goal average. Because if you are not sure then you might burn out your processor. First monitor the voltage support and other things on your processor. Increase CPU frequency step by step like for example in steps of 50 MHz. Then the second most important thing you have to do is test the stability under stress test in Prime95. If it works without concern fifteen minutes, go to the higher frequency.

First of all I have a similar system. But in my case there is a blue screen whenever I run the overclocking. I am not finding a stable support on the system. So once you find the stable frequency for your processor, you still have to put your memory to its original settings. If it does not work properly, you must take care of it by increasing its supply voltage, then increasing its latency, and as a last resort by lowering its frequency.

First of on some motherboard there are jumper settings which are needed to be settled down first. All these settings are made directly on the motherboard by changing jumpers and you can find that on the manual of the motherboard. To find the settings refer to the manual of your motherboard because that is easier and you can find that on the official site of the motherboard.

Basically OCCT can give you stability information on the system. I have a Core 2 Duo processor and I had successfully increased the frequency of the system. But that I did for some 15 to 20 minutes. Not more than that, because that can damage my system. You have a better processor. Anyhow I don't think that the unlocked core of the processor cannot give you much.

Just download Rivatuner. Run a test with OCCT for some hours and then view the result. Then overclock the processor to low range. After that run CPUTemp. Keep an eye on the temperature of the processor. If that goes high then stop overclocking at once. This shows that the processor is not stable and putting strain on that can crash your system. But if that stays stable for some time then you can go for the same.