Thread: Orthos (hardware failure detected!)

Orthos (hardware failure detected!)

I recently OC'd my c2d e6600 to 3.0ghz. Orthos works for about two minutes and then after said " Hardware Failure detected " but it didn't provide me any further details. According to the BIOS settings, I was unsure of I left at Auto. Is there anything that I am overlooking.

There are something, I have noticed that have been weird :

BIOS and ASUS probe report a maximum CPU temp then coretemp does. Coretemp is saying that a 32-33 idle while BIOS/ASUS probe is saying 47. I think I read this is normal and I should trues Coretemp? CPUZ reports a multiplier of 6, but once I launched to run orthos then it changes to 9. Everything else is still displaying that the CPU at 3.0ghz.

Hey buddy!

You need to Increase the Vcore, can yo tell me about the stock rated vcore for that proc? The current carried e6300 is 1.32v @ 1.86 (better for up to 3.36 though).

That is the initial cause for Orthos failure in my experience. Also I would made disable TM and C1E unless you like power saving properties. You should be fine and that could also be leading to problems though. I would also start with the configuration your MB voltages to their normal ratings. My P5B Dlx is much better to OC with...I configured ICH voltage on Auto, but that's it.

Well dude,

I got your problem and as-far-as temps are concerned, actually based on your BIOS configuration (if not latest than 1216 in my findings), enable PECI within the CPU properties for more believable TCase and Core readings from CPU.

Also, I have a demo of configurations that I was using for my OC when I created my own guidelines on that as a article. I have a slightly separate technique to keep my 6300 strong at 3.5, but nothing actually major. Any further issue, please post your queries here ...bye
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Thanks Hockson & lorenz ,

Your the reason I desired to start OC'n this bad boy to begin with and I think the stock vcore is 1.3-1.35.

"I would also start with configuration of your MB voltages to their normal ratings."
    - I was having issues finding these configurations and which is why I left that at auto. Should I just choose the minimum voltage option it offers in BIOS ?

If you visit about this on the internet then you can find so many software's but if you ask to me about particularly this purpose then I would say that Orthos is the best for testing to find out if your processor is working properly with smooth way.

I had my e6750 clocked to 3600 at stock voltages would seem well for me for hours running things, but just after five minutes of orthos you would get to view an error. It is great! Odd's are a minimum voltage or a little knock back in the clock should resolve it.

Re: Orthos (hardware failure detected!)

I always work with Orthos for CPU stress testing, TAT for max temp getting that nothing else can match.So TAT's more of a gimmick thing imo. Where Orthos such as Prime95 analyzes your CPU's evaluation to verify it is going properly.

Good job seducer, I might have commit some advice, but you had to make it happen ! I also agree with Niko, but I am too picky because I had a P4 rig that would unable to work with Orthos after some minutes yet was stable in everything else.Eventually, I down clocked till I was Orthos stable with the P4 rig. My C2D will be Orthos stable, it is a local preference. My rig is over 24m hours Orthos and Memtest stable that makes me feel good about my overclock.

Re: Orthos (hardware failure detected!)

I use Speedfan/Everest for my temps, ATI utility for Vid Card duties and management.Orthos Prime, Small FFT's, Priority 9 for CPU Stress and Stability Verifacation, If it is able to continue overnight (6-8hrs), you are very best bet to move with it, I let it run over 24hrs just for my personnel preferences.

I use Memtest for Windows as my up-front Memory tester authorization, if it doesn't work then I will use the boot Memtest. If you have two gigs, you will have to run two instances, which the program is able to perform by making double click on the icon again. It will tell you how much to type in for testing. It can not test what's loaded, ie windows, services, etc, but I can perform test about 860mb per Memtest Instance, also let it run overnight, it will keep creating passes (read in %), will display # of errors found, just make sure it's 0 after an overnight pass and you are going fine.