Thread: Question about max temp during Orthos test

Question about max temp during Orthos test

This is my system configuration :

ASUS P5Q3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.18 currently OC'ed to 4005mhz
    Stock 2-fan case (push in on the side, pull out in the back close to the CPU)
    slightly (but not much) good then stock air cooling on the CPU.

Well !! I have some question , how long should the stress test continue before the CPU got its maximum temp? I am afraid to walk away from the computer and skipped it run for hours, because I desired to keep an eye on my core temps (I am using core temp 0.99.4, and testing using ORTHOS, CPU only)

At idle, it sits in the low 40's, and very quickly after the test begins, it jumps up to about 60C. So I guess my query is, would improved airflow within my case improve it (I was considering about taking the top of my case and replacing it with a metal mesh), or is that usually a waste of time, and the CPU fan/heatsink should find more attention?

There are some questions from me to figure out and fix the issues. The question is that. What case do you have and what diameter are your fans? Do you running with x2 80mm or x2 120mm?

1. You require to find out the ambient air temp in the case VS the ambient air temp in the proper space if you desired for an effective fix for the issue. The better method would be to use a digital thermometer under the case while it is running. If you are unable to do that, then take the side door temporarily off your case while running orthos. If your temps getting down, then your case is not circulating enough air.

2. Sometimes, you just require to turn the fan speed up. from the BIOS configuration section, is your CPU fan settings configured for "performance" or something as usual ? Maybe your can override the fan and force it to go quicker. idk, these are just opinions.

3. This is the type of obvious, but I consder that I would indicate it anyway and be sure that your fans and heatsink are not clogged with so much dust. Once, I thought I required more fans, when it actually was a dust issue. Dusting out my video card dropped temps by about 10 C.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Thanks for viewing my queries and kind replies as well ! I am not pretty sure about my fan size, and am away from my computer so I will find out about the same when I get home. I will cover out the profile as well, that does show quite helpful.

And finally, I will try the test with my case cover off to find out if that helps. as you suggested in your post, obviously if it doesn't help then larger fans or more holes in the case or whatever would not help either. I will check your whole suggestion and will post later.

Thanks

Question about cpu temps running Orthos

Hi guys !
    I have problem with related to cpu temps that is running with Orthos. I haven't OC'd my system yet. I am using core temp to manage my cpu temps. My idle temps moves between 35-40C for the 4 cpu's. I frequently hit 58-60c after starting Orthos. Is that to be expected with this 100% stress test? I am sure 71c is the max case temp allowed for the q6600.The following is my system configuration :

Antec 900 case
    GA-P35-DS4 v2.0
    Corsair 620 PS
    Q6600 Step B Rev G0 with a Thermaltake V1 cooler
    Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB(2 x 1GB)DDR2 800
    EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Any suggestion on the cooler that I am using currently ? The thermaltake V1?

Hello dude,

I need to ask some questions to you, can you tell me something :

1- What is your ambient room temp ?
    2- Is your V1 fan at 100%
    3- What is your vcore set to?
    4- Have you modded your GTS so the shroud vents exhaust outside the case?
    5- Which thermal paste did you use?
    6- How is your case cooling in general?

To provide a preliminary answer of these question, those temps are going fine, a small high to my mind for stock clocks but it's fine, and yes climbing to near about 58-60°C mark is common but once again a little high for stock clocks, you told me earlier that you are using Orthos, are you running two instances with the affinity set so entire four cores are configured at 100%? The thermal indication for your cpu is required 71°C (LINK to specs at Intel)
    I have no first hand suffering with your cooler ........

Re: Question about max temp during Orthos test

Hummmm, I guess something is going wrong somewhere mate. At ~24°C room temp you should be minimum than 35-40°C. I made idle at 33°C at 3.2GHz at that room temp with the 1.225v. I would advice you that you can reseat your cooler using a quality thermal paste Tuniq TX-2, Arctic MX-2, Noctua NT-H1, Arctic Silver 5 or same as to see if it creates any difference but from the reviews I got (I have just looked at five) it seems as to be working properly and to the same degree as the reviews.

I would recommend you that it's just about "as good as it is going to get". If I were you I would be looking at something along the lines of Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, Tuniq Tower 120, Noctua NH-U12F or even Zalman 9700NT before any deeply overclocking. As to the GTS mod, I made a easy cardboard shroud that taped to the card and directed the hot air out via the vacant case pci expansion slots for my 640 GTS, it works as the fix.

Re: Question about max temp during Orthos test

NO, Easytune always got unable to change fan speed on your graphics card. It can change the clock speeds, but I would advice you that don't go for it for that. Or for any overclocking either For your graphics card speed management, if you can change them you could use RivaTuner, or ATITool (Yes it works for nvidia) but most like rivatuner for nvidia based cards. Some 8800's you are unable to adjust, you will just have to grab it and look.

There is method to modify your GFX cards BIOS to get up the default speeds, but I will skip that up to you to find and do. Google will help you there, but I wouldn't suggest you such a thing in case something goes incorrect and you would assume that it was maybe my bad idea. but it is out there, google Will get you there

I would suggest since quads are so cheap currently if you like Q6000 purchase a new one so you get G0 stepping it runs much cooler, then you could eBay your previous one...