Thread: How to oveclock 7950 GX2 with rivatuner

How to oveclock 7950 GX2 with rivatuner

I recently bought a used GeForce 7950 GX2 from my friend and put it in my old rig that has intel hyper threading processor support. I was wondering if I can overclock this card with rivatuner to some further extent on the current rig, then how much can I expect an low FPS drop or so while gaming. Thanks for any input.

Re: How to oveclock 7950 GX2 with rivatuner

I think yes you can obviously overclock your 7950GX2, just let us know what is mhz of the memory and core clock of 7950GX2 set to. I was able to get past an 800 + on the memory with any issues and I used the latest version of the rivatuner to overclock the video at a stable performance and nice output.

Rivatuner is pretty fast and an easy tool to use for oveclocking purpose. Usually I used the ATI overdrive autotune for my graphic card to just check what results it will give. The temperature was checked every now and then when the process of overclocking was running with my gpu and it crashed at a moment where it reached 825 and so I had to restart my pc. So I would recommend you to use rivatuner until you clealry get familiarized with it and then set the fan to 90 percent. See how far can you go and stop when you feel if something is not working well.

I was able to get a stable performance till 700/750 and I thought I could even go much further on the graphic card. But later my friends told me that the memory on this gpu is not good for overclocking. I also read on a site that this card should not be overclocked at stock because it can further lead to produce a tremendous amount of heat. So atleast I was happy not to burn up my gpu and invest in another.

To overclock your gpu with rivatuner do the following:

1) Run the setup of Rivatunner, click next to continue, Choose the destination folder and accept the terms.

2) Rivatunner will create a registry in case there would be a problem.

3) Continue, click "OK".

4) No drivers for GX2 is recognized by Rivatunner RC16, so check all
    the box to do more that it tells you.

5) Move to overclocking, drivers and settings ..

6) Check "enable driver level hardware overclocking", there will detect Rivatunner frequencies and assimilate original frequency.

7)You finally arrive at the panel that will let you OC, make sure that "3D performance is selected and not 2D, check" Apply overclocking at Windows ... "before proceeding to the next step.

8)Select the desired frequency, then test them by pressing the button "Test". If the test is successful, the frequency that has accepted, but this does not mean they are 100% stable. Do not forget to click on "Save" to save the new frequency.

9)Change nail t => "Fan" and check "Apply fan settings at Windows startup".

10) I advise you to increase the speed of a little 3D iMac's fans (75% example) and put the maximum in low 3D mode that gets activated if the card is overheating so it needs to be cooled. To confirm, click "Save".

11) Finally click on "Apply" then yes that is in the frequencies news to your default GX2 (in Software reveal of course). That will require testing
    several hours of play?? Just check whether you are getting proper oc or not.