Thread: How to overclock Intel P4 on Asus Motherboard

How to overclock Intel P4 on Asus Motherboard

Hi,
    I have a Asus P5AD2 motherboard with Intel Pentium 4 processor. I want to overclock the processor to increase the performance of system at the time of gaming. I have a additional nvidia gpu for that. Along with that 4gigs of RAM. I had never done overclocking. So here I need a step by step procedure to overclock the processor. Please Help.

Re: How to overclock Intel P4 on Asus Motherboard

First as you are a newbie in overclocking it is recommended that you should know the pros and cons of overclocking. First at least understand the process of overclocking. Overclocking a processor means to increase the factory rated speed. That means for example you have a 2.4Ghz processor and you increase it to 2.5 or even 2.6Ghz. This increases the speed of processor. Now the cons. Overclocking can damage your system if not done properly or used for a long time. Here what happens the processor is pushed to perform beyond it limitations. There are some processors now which are specifically made for overclocking. But intel Pentium 4 is not. It can crash you system or your processor can die. This because the extreme voltage consume by the cpu which generates lot of heat and kill the cpu. It is the most dangerous case in old processors. The main purpose of overclocking is to squeeze out some additional performance from the cpu. I will recommend you not to perform overclocking on P4 processors.

Intel Pentium 4 does not has inbuilt overclocking utility. There fore you will have to use a third party tool. Click below to download CPU-Z tool. CPU-Z is a freeware cpu overclocking tools. It is simple and easy to use tools. But you will need to take care that Pentium 4 processor's are not really made for overclocking. This can harm your processor. CPU Z offers you complete details about the cpu speed, clock ratio and temperature. You will need Rivatuner for this. Download it from the net. It is a freeware tool. The graphic interface shows you a bar by which you can increase the speed. Run CPU z and see weather the processor is working fine or not.
    CPU-Z

Just download RiverTuner or PowerStrip software. It is a freeware tool and easy to use also. The gui interface just offers you a bar by which you can increase the speed of the processor and memory. Buy a drop down box you can select you processor and perform the action. But take car overclocking can make your processor dead or destroy your memory. I will not recommend overclocking for P4 processors. The Intel Core i7 is the best option for that.