Thread: Unable to run Games on Core 2 Duo need overclock

Unable to run Games on Core 2 Duo need overclock

I recently copied GTA 4 game and i received a strange message about whether my hardware would run GTA 4 at full well seemingly my harddrive has let me down. Whilst playing it uses upto 1.5GB of the pagefile and makes the game choppy as hell.

Is it the hard drive being too slow or is there another piece of my hardware that needs looking at.

My full spec is:
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3 Mobo
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU
    OCZ PC2-8500 2x1GB RAM
    Radeon HD4870 1x1gb GPU

Harddrive is:
    Hitachi deskstar 500GB
    HDP725050GLA360

Thanks in advance

Re: Unable to run Games on Core 2 Duo need overclock

FSB
    For Intel Core 2 Duo’s typically you overclock by simply raising the FSB (front side buss). This speed is set at 266Mhz for the E6xxx-X8500. The FSB is set at 200Mhz for the e4xxx series. Raising the FSB is the only way to overclock your Core 2 Duo, unless it is an engineer sample chip or an X6800+ (Both of these have unlocked multipliers.)

Multiplier
    To overclock your Intel Core 2 Duo by using the multiplier, you simply change that number to a higher number than its stock multiplier. For example an engineer sample chip E6300 has a multiplier of 7x, but you can change it to a higher value, say 9x. If you leave the FSB at 266, then 9x266 = 2400Mhz = 2.4Ghz.

PCI-E
    When you overclock your CPU by raising the FSB, you not only overclock the CPU, but you also overclock your PCI-E. On most motherboards you can lock your PCI-E to 100Mhz (recommended).

One of the most important parts of the computer is the power supply. This is often overlooked when budgeting for a new PC, so people end up with the generic PSUs that come with cheap cases or buy unbranded PSUs.

You might be lucky and find that these cheapies work okay, giving years of trouble-free service. However, when a PSU does break down it can take other components with it. Imagine spending a grand or more on a new PC, only for the cheapo PSU to blow, taking your £300 graphics card, your CPU and your RAM with it.

So don't scrimp on the PSU. Get a decent brand from a maker such as Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Silverstone or Tagan. If you are unsure of your individual power requirements, please ask on the HEXUS.community forums. You may find that you need much less than you think.

or else before doing that change the DVD of game and use another one and check whether it is running properly.

Since you noticed that your paging file is highly utilized, that means you need more RAM for your computer. Having more RAm will decrease paging which will increase performance.