Thread: Scythe Musashi VGA Cooler

Scythe Musashi VGA Cooler

Can any one suggest me some reviews or opinions about Scythe Musashi VGA Cooler? i wanted to know few details regarding this cooler..
    if someone can reply me it's technical as well as market reports and it's views i will definitely be thankful to you all.........

Re: Scythe Musashi VGA Cooler

This is a brand new product for Scythe who are also entering the graphics card cooling arena as well. The Musashi is a dual-fan large cooler for most Nvidia and ATI graphics chipsets. Bringing promises of better temperatures and more manageable noise levels than stock coolers, I'm excited to see how well the Musashi will perform in real world conditions.

In The Box:

1. Musashi GPU Cooler with attached fan speed dial
    2. VGA Card backplate
    3. Copper Shim
    4. Installation screws and nuts
    5. Packet of thermal paste
    6. Heatsinks (Of various size and type depending on intended application)
    7. Installation/product guides

Technical specifications:

• Model Name: MUSASHI VGA Cooler
    • Model Number: SCVMS-1000
    • Manufacturer: Scythe Co., Ltd. Japan

Overall:

• Dimension: 104 x 250 x 35 mm, 4.09 x 9.84 x 1.38 in
    • Weight: 375 g

Heatsink

• Dimension: 104 x 250 x 35 mm, 4.09 x 9.84 x 1.38 in
    • Weight: 251 g

Fan

• Dimension: 100 x 100 x 12 mm, 3.94 x 3.94 x 0.47 in
    • Speed: 800 ~ 2000 rpm
    • Noise: 12.50 ~ 29.22dBA
    • Flow: 11.45 ~ 27.60CFM
    • Bearing Type Sleeve Bearing

Check thsi one:

Features:

The packing of Scythe products is always something eye catching, partially because of the unique graphics and partly because of the amount of different languages it's written in. The box of the Musashi is in English and also Japanese, which is certainly different than we're used to seeing on a box! This is because Scythe has such a large market around the world. Instead of producing several different boxes, they stick to just one.

For novice users unpacking the box, you'll likely start being slightly frightened for what's to come when you see the sheer number of components with the Musashi. Since it's designed for a huge list of different video cards and because each manufacturer often puts their own twist on their particular video cards, Scythe has included 23 different stick-on heatsinks of various sizes and shapes. These will be used on memory, bridge chips and any other vital chips that need cooling on the specific card it's being installed on. They're held on the card in a fairly simple way; peel and stick! All heatsinks have preapplied thermal tape on the back of them so you just need to peel off the protective backing and apply them where they need to go.

As the pictures show, the main Musashi cooler itself is certainly a long unit. For some users this may be significantly longer than your video card's stock cooling (me included), but for others it may be no longer at all because some cards are using rather hefty sized stock coolers. When it's flipped over you can see that the Musashi uses heatpipes to help spread head from the GPU's core to all of the heatsink fins for fast and efficient cooling. Instead of using one big and loud fan like most graphics cards ship with, the Musashi uses two 90mm low-profile fans. These are controlled via two fan control dials that come ready to slot-mount in the back of your case. Using the dials you can vary the noise of the fans between 12.5 to 29.2 dBA; both of which are quieter than a lot of the fans I'm hearing on new video cards these days still.

In my opinion:

I was very impressed with the cooling performance of the Scythe Musashi. Furthermore, by using the fan controller, the right fan speeds can be set to match performance with silent operation. However, if you want to use another fan controller or you simply do not want to use one at all, you will still need to leave the provided controller in the case, as it can't be disconnected from the fans. Due to the wide range of graphics cards it is compatible with, most PC users will be able to install it on their cards. The cooler is compatible with the ATI HD4800 series, though the GTX260 and the GTX280 from nVidia are not. To attach the heatsink, a backplate is provided, which has a small rubber cushion right in the middle, so the pressure is really put on the GPU and not on the PCB. The thumb screws are easy to use, as well as the chip heatsinks. By simply peeling off the small sticker, you can stick them on any chip. There are many of different sizes to allow covering of every possible chip. The temperature reduction the Scythe Musashi delivered when mounted to the test video card is nothing short of amazing. A decrease in load temperatures of 50+ degrees Celsius is just huge. Especially when you consider the fact that this is a low noise cooling solution. The 50 dollar price of ownership for this cooler seems a bit high initially until you see the performance improvement over the stock cooling solution.

As for the GPU heatsink itself, it has a nice polished and flat base - no need for lapping. One thing I have to admit though is that the fins of the Musashi are not tightly packed; they can slide along the heatpipes because there is a bit of room left. Since there is not a 90° bend at the end of each fin to lock the fins together they can be accidentally bent out of shape quite easily. Although I'm not sure that it would impact performance in a significant way.

Overall, I would highly recommend Scythe's first foray into the VGA cooler market, which I consider is a great success. For the benchmarker, it offers great cooling performance, and for the normal user, it offers a very silent cooling solution.

Congratulations Scythe