Thread: iphone overclock

iphone overclock

Is there any way of overclocking iphone. Any such applications are available? I was curious about this as i would like to develop some game applications for my iphone and was wondering if i could increase the processor speed to some extent, then my work would become easier

I dont think there is any such thing available to overclock the processor of a phone. It sounds to me something different and surprising

Quote Originally Posted by lorenz View Post
    I dont think there is any such thing available to overclock the processor of a phone. It sounds to me something different and surprising
    Thats what I feel. I have never heard of overclocking a cell phone

Even if there exist any such thing, i feel like there is no need of it in cell phones, be it iphone. Like PCs that requires a lot of power for various applications running simultaneously or for playing high definitions video or 3D games, there is none of this in a phone so no point of overclocking iphone.

For i guess you must be having 110 V supply for charging your iphone. I will say, just provide higher voltage to your iphone and it will overclock upto some level and then will fry itself

Just joking

The iphone uses marvel unit running at 600 Mhz speed. But it does not actually run at this speed. Its mostly run underclocked at about 400 Mhz. I read this somewhere on the web.

Thats what made me curious about overclocking iPhone.

Overclocking portable devices is not usually advisable. It tends to increase heat in such devices and moreover, they cant cool off quickly. Thats why laptops are not generally overclocked (except using cooling pads).

Quote Originally Posted by wazzeledozzle View Post
    For i guess you must be having 110 V supply for charging your iphone. I will say, just provide higher voltage to your iphone and it will overclock upto some level and then will fry itself

Just joking
    Well as far as I know about iPhone, its not a joke. If you have original Apple iPhone charger, it will charge the phone properly at 220V in almost half of the time that it takes for 110V charging.

The case of frying itself, that can happen if phone is charged for exceedingly amount of time, even at 110V
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Re: iphone overclock

There aresome very ill informed opinions circulating on this thread. I signed up to this forum to set a few points straight.

Firstly: of course mobile phones can be overclocked. I ran my previous Windows mobile handset substantially overclocked 24-7 for over a year before replacing it with an iphone. I won't discuss the methods by which one may overclock a mobile phone; if you are lacking the faculties to use Google to find your answer, then you are ill advised to be fiddling with your phone's clock rate. Needless to say, if you want to make fundamental changes to your iphone, jailbreaking is a pre-requisite. If you have not done so already, then you may wish to start by looking here.

My second point: mobile phone processors (typically a varient of the ARM) are often, indeed usually, shipped *underclocked*. The reason for doing this has little or nothing to do with heat dissapation, mobile phones are very low power devices and output very little heat. Underclocking processors reduces power consumption drastically, allowing manufacturers to achieve acceptible levels of battery life at the cost of performance.

Last: what is this nonsense some members are talking about 'charging an iphone' at 110V/230V? The voltage applied is entirely indepentant of the AC outlet voltage available, and the charging current draw is no more than a few hundred milliamps, which can be capably provided by even a very moderate transformer.!

Re: iphone overclock

I wouldn't say about over clocking an iphone or any other mobile phones, but don't talk crap, The charging is only done at some miliamps as said by LjpGT. The volts remain the same no matter what your AC power is.