Thread: Vista SP1 PCI Problem

Vista SP1 PCI Problem

I downloaded Vista SP1 to my wife's Acer laptop and on reboot the system wouldn't recognise the graphics card or the wireless card. Looking at Device Manager I saw yellow triangles against three entries for PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge. Looking at their properties I saw the message "this device cannot start (Code 10)". SO it looks as if the PCI bus isn't running, preventing the computer from recognising devices on PCI ports.

THe "check for solutions" box is no help.

I have tried deleting them so the drivers reinstall but the same messages come up after reinstalling drivers (I had to connect to my home network by ethernet to do this).

I have also tried using system restore to revert to pre-SP1, to no avail - it said there was an error that prevented restoration.

Can anyone help, please?

thanks to M$ that vista is still not bug free..
    switch to xp cause vista has driver compatiblity issues

Try right clicking on the device in Device Manager, then click
    Uninstall, then reboot and let Windows reinstall the device. If this
    doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the video card drivers and see if that
    helps.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Thanks for the suggestions. XP isn't really an option and reinstalling the video card drivers didn't work because the installer couldn't see the video card.

I have now managed to get the computer working by uninstalling SP1. However, this still shows in the computer's list of successful updates, preventing SP1 being re-offered by Windows Update. Will thi be a problem in future?

Dave if you get really stuck run the system restore, i am not a big fan of this but it works.

Rammy

System Restore didn't work - it said there was an error preventing it from working. I uninstalled SP1 using the windows updater and all was OK. But I have tried again to install SP1, this time disabling all firewall/antivirus software etc, but, after a "successful" install, the problem has returned.

Microsoft are offering free support with Vista SP1 problems so I have filed a support request. First response was pretty quick - good - but the person answering hadn't read my problem and tried to get me to reinstall device drivers - not possible because the system can't see the devices - bad.

Microsoft support can't solve the problem - I am now waiting for a call from Microsoft Research - watch this space.

This is starting to look silly. Microsoft Research say it is a problem with my drivers not being Vista SP1 compatible and that I should contact the hardware manufacturer (Acer). Have emailed them a support request...

Acer say that the problem isn't with their drivers but with SP1, because the computer worked before installing SP1. They advised me to uninstall sp1 and wait until a stable version of SP1 is issued. I asked how I would know when this happened - they said that it would be when the download becomes mandatory rather than optional, that is, when it is installed automatically by Windows Update.

Did you get SP1 from windows updates or did you download it yourself from the downloads centre?

The reason I ask is that SP1 is only offered via "windows updates" if your pc is ready for it and does not have any incompatible drivers.Some of the drivers listed as incompatible are sound drivers and you should update them then in turn SP1 will be offered.

However, as many users are finding, there appears to be no newer driver than they already have!

Do also keep checking windows updates manually and look at available updates listed optional or recommended, drivers could be offered which would then lead onto SP1 being offered.

Nitesh

Thanks for the advice. Sadly...

I have tried both - I downloaded the stand-alone SP1 on Microsoft's advice, got the error, uninstalled then immediately got an update notification from Windows Update, showing it as "important", so installed it, and got the error again.

I have updated to the latest BIOS from Acer, made sure that no non-Microsoft programs are running when booting to safe mode but the problem persists. I am at a loss for further possible fixes apart from uninstalling SP1 - again.