Thread: hard drive not working after installing Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879

hard drive not working after installing Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879

I recently tried to install Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879 in my computer and also installed all the latest updates for this operating system. After my computer first wake up from sleep event, the hard drive is not found in Bios at all. I removed the hard drive and connected in different computer but it is not working there as well. The hard drive is not spinning up and does not respond to any commands as well. Does this means that this build is bricking all hard drives or do I have a change to recover my hard drive?

Re: hard drive not working after installing Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879

If you are seeing a message when powering up your computer that says " No boot device", then it means that the BIOS is not able to issue a PUIS spin-up command to the hard drive before querying for Identify Data. This is why, the hard drive did not return enough data for the BIOS to properly identify and ultimately boot from the hard drive. To solve this issue you can use a third party tool called hdparm tool for windows which can turn PUIS on an off.

Re: hard drive not working after installing Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879

Yes, you will need to download the hdparm tool by searching it on google. After that install it as per the instructions given. Now you have to run CMD as admin and use CD to go to the installed hdparm.exe location. After that enter this command - 'hdparm -I /dev/hda' and PUIS is enabled. Now enter this command 'hdparm -s0 /dev/hda' to disable PUIS. Now try to enter this command again - 'hdparm -I /dev/hda' many times and see to it the PUIS remains disabled. After that shut down computer and power it up again and check in BIOS if the hard drive is found.

Incase your computer is able to boot but hangs upon resuming from sleep or crashes with different error codes then it means that bios is able to send the PUIS spin-up command on boot. However, the problem with resume from sleep happens because the bios does not issue a PUIS spin-up command upon resume. Microsoft has already released a patch for this issue called KB3021937, just download and install this KB while keeping your computer awake through the whole process.