Thread: error 0x0000005D installing Windows 10 Technical Preview in Virtual Box

error 0x0000005D installing Windows 10 Technical Preview in Virtual Box

I was just going to test and install Windows 10 Technical Preview in my computer but when I was trying to install it in Virtual Box today then I started getting an error code 0x0000005D while I was trying to boot from the ISO file. I have already enabled the PAE/NX in virtual box and my Core 2 Duo CPU has the Execute Disable Bit Feature. I dont whether this problem is happening because of the CPU that I have which doesnt seem to support VT-x or not? Can anyone tell me if there is any solution to this problem? Thanks

Re: error 0x0000005D installing Windows 10 Technical Preview in Virtual Box

You will first of all have to ensure that you have the latest version of VirtualBox installed. When you will update it to the latest version then some other elements also gets installed for VirtualBox. After that try to run the below command before running VirtualBox:
    "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata global VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

Note that the path of this software might be different for you in your computer. Once you run the command properly then you need to run VB again and then you will be able to install Windows 10 Technical Preview operating system successfully.

First of all restart your computer and enter BIOS by pressing DEL or F2 key. After that you need to go to Advanced > CPU configuration. Different motherboard have different settings to get into it. After that find the No-Execute Memory Protection option and click on it. It might be disabled, so if you want to set up Windows 10 properly, change it to Enabled. Save the settings and Exit BIOS. Restart your system and then continue to install Windows 10 in Virtualbox.

This problem doesnt not happen in Virtualbox settings but there are some specific motherboard that dont all to install operating system in Virtualbox. If you want to install Windows 10 in Virtualbox then you should have the No-Execute Memory Protection option enabled on your motherboard. The processor should also support features like Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX and SSE2. There are many CPUs that support these features, but if you get any kind of error then it is happening because you dont have the NX feature enabled on your system.