Thread: Unclean file system error on dual boot Windows 10 pc

Unclean file system error on dual boot Windows 10 pc

I am having a dual boot pc. I am using Ubuntu from long time and with that I had just recently installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on the same. I am having a 1TB drive which has two OS partition of 100GB each. The very first one has Ubuntu and the second one has Windows 10 in it. I am using Grub as the default bootloader. In ubuntu when I am trying to access Windows partition I am getting a unclean file system error. What does this error means and how to fix it.

Re: Unclean file system error on dual boot Windows 10 pc

Looks like some issue with the drive due to which you are getting the error. Boot your pc in safe mode in Windows and then launch cmd. In that type chkdsk /f and hit enter. This will run checkdisk and will scan your drive for errors. If you find anything in the end then it means this can be a bad sector or a drive which has a corrupt files system. To fix that there are two options. First either format it or just delete and recreate the partition. But backup your data first.

Re: Unclean file system error on dual boot Windows 10 pc

If you are not going to make changes in the drive files then you can mount that with read only status. And I am quiet sure that will help you in fixing the problem. For that go in Ubuntu and start the terminal. Type sudo mount -o ro /dev/[partition /media/"drivelocation". At the end you have to provide the mounting point. Hit enter and see whether it is readable or not. Mostly this will turn on read only drive option. You can also install NTFS drivers through software manager.