Thread: Downgrade from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows 8.1?

Downgrade from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows 8.1?

I have recently installed the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview in my computer. Since there are a lot of bugs in this build so now I am looking to uninstall it from my pc and want to install Windows 8.1 again. When I was trying to perform recovery then it just recovered the Windows 10 technical preview again but not Windows 8.1? So, if there is anyone who can tell me how do I downgrade from this Tech Preview to Windows 8.1, it would be helpful. Thank you

Re: Downgrade from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows 8.1?

If I am not mistaken then it was already printed while installing the Windows 10 Technical Preview that you will not be able to downgrade to Windows 8.1 without any USB or DVD recovery disk. They have already said it many times stating that you should ensure to have the disk if you are looking to go back to a previous version of Windows operating system. If you are able to find your USB or Recovery Disk then you will be able to downgrade or else order it from your pc manufacturer.

First of all go to this link - http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-...recovery-drive. You need to make sure that you are logged in to your Microsoft account and thus you can download the same image. The data that you will need would be of maximum 16gb. So, you will have to get atleast a 32gb flash drive to ensure that the image will be saved there properly. After downloading the image follow the below steps:
    Step 1:
    Connect the power supply to Surface and plug into an electrical outlet.

Step 2:
    Insert your USB drive into the USB port on your Surface.

Step 3:
    Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Step 4:
    In the search box, enter recovery, and in the search results, tap or click Recovery, and then tap or click Create a recovery drive.

Step 5:
    In the User Account Control dialog box, tap or click Yes.

Step 6:
    Tap or click to select Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive, and then, tap or click Next.

Step 7:
    Tap or click the USB drive you want to use, and then tap or click Next.

Step 8:
    Tap or click Create. The recovery image and necessary recovery tools will be copied to your USB drive. Your Surface must stay awake during the copy process, which will take 10 to 15 minutes.

Step 9:
    After the recovery tools are copied, do one of the following:
    Tap or click Finish if you want to keep the recovery tools on your Surface.
    Tap or click Delete the recovery partition if you want to remove the recovery tools from Surface and free up disk space. To confirm, tap or click Delete, and when removal is complete, tap or click Finish.

I was not knowing whether the USB recovery works or not but I also installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface laptop and wanted to downgrade it to Windows 8.1 again. So, I used the USB recovery and tried to go back and it just came back with Windows 10. After doing the same process then Windows 8.1 preview was out and I was able to go back to Windows 8 properly. Hope this will help anyone.