Thread: error code 0x80246017 while downloading new preview build in Windows 10

error code 0x80246017 while downloading new preview build in Windows 10

I am using the latest Windows 8.1 operating system in my pc with all the recent updates from microsoft. I was attempting to download the newest technical preview of Windows 10 which was recently launched but when I press the Download Now button then I am getting an error message that states "Failed to download the new preview build, please try again later. 0x80246017". Can anyone tell me how do I download this latest OS build? Thank you

Re: error code 0x80246017 while downloading new preview build in Windows 10

It was noted that if you have changed the registry keys in your system then it will prevent you from getting Windows 10 Technical Preview builds. So you will need to change the registry keys back to their old values so that the public update servers will detect it and give you the newer builds. Below are some of the registry keys that you should be using:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
    BranchName = fbl_release
    ThresholdRiskLevel = low
    ThresholdInternal = <should not exist>
    ThresholdOptedIn = <should not exist>

You also have to use the below commands by opening Command Prompt in administrator mode:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" /v "BranchName" /d "fbl_release" /t REG_SZ /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" /v "ThresholdRiskLevel" /d "low" /t REG_SZ /f
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" /v "ThresholdInternal" /f
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" /v "ThresholdOptedIn" /f

Can you tell us whether you have used any method which has determined that a new build is available in your computer? Did you also try to try downloading it again later? Also did you try to edit the registry to get the builds faster because you have already installed Windows 10 in your pc? Check the article on "You may encounter temporary connection-related errors [e.g., 0x80072EFD] when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates" by following this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

You should note that Windows Update should be set to automatically install all the important updates when they all become available. In Windows Technical Preview you will also not be able to turn off automatic updates. If you want to change when preview builds are installed then you will need to open PC Settings and click on Upgrade and Recovery > click Preview Builds > click Change the time and your pc will install the peview builds. For more information follow the link here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download