Thread: How to rename multiple files at the same time in Windows 7

How to rename multiple files at the same time in Windows 7

Windows 7 File Manager is quiet impressive to use. It is fast and allow instant access to picture and movies. I was using a third party file manager recently which I removed as it was slow. The benefit of using that file manager was that it was having a renaming option. That means I can simply rename a lot of files at the same time. But in Windows File Manager I am unable to find that option. I want some tips through which I can use the file manager a lot more faster. Things that I need is batch file renaming, instantly dragging the files to a location, etc. I am not in need of any third party software. I need some basic stuff here.

Re: How to rename multiple files at the same time in Windows 7

Windows File Manager is quiet basic, compare to few one I had seen. They are lot more easier to use and has more features. If you just want to rename few bunch of files then it will be quiet simple. You can just press Ctrl + A from the keyboard. This will select all the files. And once you are done with that you have to right click on a file and choose rename. That's it. You have to add a name there like myphoto and hit enter.The File Manager will automatically add a series of number in all the photos. The same thing you can do with Microsoft Picture Manager also. You have to select all the files in it and click on Edit > Rename.

For file transfer I think the simple copy paste can do your job. For fast dragging you can use the right click menu. This very basic thing you can try out. I use Windows File Manager quiet often to view files only. Compare to that there are ample of good ones like xyplorer. It is a bit advance and has as nice menu with many features. Most of time when you are having too many folders you will get confused to manage your data. I put my important files in Google drive where it uploads on teh cloud and keep the less important files in other folders. So that managing file is lot more simpler than any other thing.

When you have multiple files in a specific folder, renaming files individually is an long process and it takes more time. You do not have to rename files individually, then follow the steps are given below:

1) Select all files you want to rename and Hit F2 key on your Keyboard and you can also right click, select Rename from Context Menu
    2) Rename First file press Enter Key