Thread: Unable to eject a pen drive from Mac system

Unable to eject a pen drive from Mac system

I have a 32GB pen drive and I am using it for copying files on the mac system. I am having a problem recently while using the same. I am not able to eject the pen drive. I had tried to do the same a number of time but it fails to work. After connecting the pen drive and I can see the icon on the desktop. I can move files but I am not able to eject that. I removed the pen drive directly a number of time. I want some help here to make this work quicker. Does anyone knows how eject the pen drive safely in mac.

Re: Unable to eject a pen drive from Mac system

Never pull out the pen drive from the pc. It can cause problem with the device. Always use the safe method of going the same. Just hit Command +E from your keyboard. It is the fastest way to eject a pen drive. When you hit that the drive will get removed from the system. But you must never pull out because it also affect the usb port of you system. If this is not working try to update the drivers which might help you to remove the same. In mac this type of issues are not very common.

Its perfectly fine to eject it(as in take it out) without properly ejecting, if all the concerned files are closed! This doesn't harm your computer

It is possible that there is some application which is using the pen drive in the background which is causing the issue. You have to exist all the application that are working in the background first and then hit Command + E to eject the same. You can also try dragging the icon of usb that is on the desktop the trash and it will be removed. It is essential to post if you are getting any error on the desktop. Because on that basis it will be lot more easier to find the solution.

I also think that the issue is with some application that is working in the background. Because the same issue occur on Windows pc. If there some app that is working and accessing the files then you will get error while ejecting the same. Command + E is the most simplest way to eject the usb from
    your system. Sometime the issue can also be with the pen drive. There can be some kind of malware or virus in the pen drive that is not allowing you to eject. Scan your pen drive for virus.

There is one thing you can try out. For removing the virus format the pen drive and connect it to the mac pc. Hit Command + E to eject. If this works then the issue is resolved. But not then there is definitely some application in the background that is causing the issue. You must try to use a application that can kill all the background process. In windows you can do that through Task Manager. I am not sure what is available in the Mac pc. just try that and test it back.