Thread: Windows 7 search take hours to find a file

Windows 7 search take hours to find a file

I am not able to figure out the problem with Windows search. It just take hours to find my files. Before this was really fast. But I am noticing from last we days. Also when I open any folder it opens up very slowly. I am not able to figure out why things are so slow here. There might be some kind of problem with the operating system. What can I do to speed up the search settings here. I had removed some recently installed programs also. This is also not helping. I want same way through which I can speed up windows search.

Re: Windows 7 search take hours to find a file

It can be due to slow hard drive. You have to speed up that by running disk defragmentation. There are also third party tools available but you can try one which is in windows. This tool will boost up your drive speed by arranging the data properly. Just run that. Also run disk cleanup. This is another good tool to wipe out unwanted files from the system. If you are still finding things slow then you can try using a tune up utility. There are some free one available. Most of this will remove un-necessary files that will speed up the hard drive.

It can be the operating system issue also. To get instant fix you have to use system restore. There is no other way. And disk defragmenting will help you a little in dealing with the issue. But run disk defragmenting once and then try to find out whether your system is working fine or not. Third party tools are not going to help. Instead of using the default windows search option you can try using a third party software. There are ample of them available. You can use them to search files more instantly.

There are so many great file managers available for Windows 7. You can use the same. One which can help you to get a good amount of output is CubicExplorer. It has a multi-window format through which you can check out different files in the same and you can also search really fast. It is simple and lightweight. It does not give you much options but still I am quiet sure it is enough for searching files. If you are finding this too heavy then you can go with Explorer++. It is also fast to use.

FileSearchEx is the best one if you want only something to search. It is designed to manage different files. You can search in it anything you want. There is no need to go for any file manager type of software. Because they are different. If you want something to search files only then try FileSearchEx. It is a simple ui and it scans your drive well. It keeps the record of your last searches also. It gives you a set of different filters through which you can search your files and find them really fast.

I had got the same slow down issue some weeks ago. It happens sometime windows pc works really slow and you cannot do anything in that. Now for that using a third party tool can save time. Similar to the above one I was using Ultrasearch. It is a only designed to look for new files in the system. It has a single window layout. At the top you have search bar and you have to type the name of file. The file will appear in the below list from where you can open it and view. You can also specify the drive to look.