Thread: Is it still safe to use Windows XP on old pc

Is it still safe to use Windows XP on old pc

Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP. I have a old disc with me that came with my netbook. I want to know that does it is still safe to use Windows XP on old system which are having really less amount of ram. I cannot even install Windows Vista on the same. The pc is going to use for the accounting purpose only. So there is no much requirement. I am going to install Windows XP with an outdated accounting software and it is going to be connected on the internet. If it is safe enough to use this then it will really help.

Re: Is it still safe to use Windows XP on old pc

It is safe only if you are not going to use pen drive on the same and if the system is not connected to internet. Because here the virus has no place to enter. And you said that you are going to connect the pc on the internet. Then you have to install a antivirus also to keep your system protected from different kind of threats. This will be surely more safer. You can go with MSE or a free edition of AVG which is enough. You can use the pc and it will work well. Just do not load much things in the pc.

You have to take some measures if you are want to use a old operating system which has no support available. That means if there is any security bug in the operating system you cannot do anything. It will remain still represent. It is good if you can go with atleast windows vista. Because there you get regular updates. You can add Microsoft security essential in that and that's all. I am quiet sure that is more than enough for your system and it will work on a bit low end hardware also. Just upgrade the ram to more.

I will not recommend you to use Windows XP. First of all you will face issue with installing new programs. They are not going to work on that. End of support means no more drivers for windows xp pc. You cannot find them on any site. Whatever you have, you will need to backup that. Always keep your firewall on and use a good antivirus. One that comes with internet security support. Because you are going to connect the pc on the internet and there will be file transfer stuff. Your system can catch virus due to security hole.

Many articles on the web clearly says that you can no longer use Windows xp. Because it is not safe. You have to go with some other operating system like Vista atleast. Your system can get hacked quiet easily. The suggestion above is good that you can use if you are not going to use internet on the pc. Without that your pc will not well and it might get infection soon. Why dont you go with Ubuntu. That is also lightweight and does not need much hardware. You can install that on any low end pc.

Still if you want to use then there are few things you can try out. First of all do not allow multiple people to use the system. Just create one admin account and keep it locked. so that no other people can install additional things in the same. Always keep the installed software updated. That means whatever browser you are using or whatever application you had installed check for the latest version. Do not stick with old version which are more vulnerable. Use a free but good antivirus in your system.