Thread: Can I restore clone of regular hard drive to ssd

Can I restore clone of regular hard drive to ssd

What are the possible options available through which we can restore the image files of hard drive to ssd. I had backup my windows through windows recovery tool. And that image file is around 10GB in size. It has all the essential drivers and software in it. I want some option through which I can restore that image to a new ssd. I am planing to add a 124Gb ssd on the system. I have a 64GB for testing from my friend. If this works then only I am gong to upgrade. Because I do not want to install everything from scratch. I am not having the drivers.

Re: Can I restore clone of regular hard drive to ssd

I think this might not work. When you run the image restore windows does not ask you the location of drive. It has all the information. The image file consist of mbr and the operating system partition. And it is going to restore the files exactly in the same drive. If you remove or change the drive then there are chances that windows recovery might fail. It is good to work from scratch. That is installing everything back again and updating the drivers. Then creating a new image once again. That would be more stable I think.

Re: Can I restore clone of regular hard drive to ssd

It is correct that you cannot put a image file of one partition into another hard drive. They must have the exact hardware or partition system to use the image file. Or else it will fail or crash. It is good to install everything from scratch so that your system could remain more stable and work well. It will be complicated for you to deal with errors even when the system starts working. For drivers you run a driver backup software. And then use that after re-installation. That will surely work.