Thread: Windows auto update failed to work after windows 8.1 upgrade

Windows auto update failed to work after windows 8.1 upgrade

There is some issue with windows update once I had upgraded to windows 8.1. There are no more automatic updates. Before I was using Windows 7 where I receive a few updates regularly. But now as I had done with upgrading to the new Windows 8.1 the auto update has failed to work. I want a bit help here to resolve the issue. I am trying to find restart the same but it is not working. Most of the things in update settings is grayed out.

Re: Windows auto update failed to work after windows 8.1 upgrade

Looks the update service is damage due to which you are getting this issue. You can resolve that by running a repair setup. For that you have to use windows 8 installation disc. It will be easier for you to fix the issue. Without that it is not going to work. Just insert the cd and boot your system with the same. Then run on the installation. Do not format a partition. Windows will create a windows.old folder from where you recover your data. And then delete the same.

You can try running system file checker. This tool works slow but it is effective in fixing this kind of problem. You have to just type sfc /scannow and hit enter in cmd. The system file checker software is good enough to fix the damage system files. All you have to do is boot your pc in safe mode. And then cmd type the above command. This will start the system file checker. It is going to take long time but it is effective for your fixing various errors.

There are different steps available in fixing the problem with WSUS. You have to start with finding that and then you can go with the final output where the problem is. Like you can simply collect data first about WSUS issue. Then you can analyze the same to locate a solution. This is the easiest way to resolve the problem. Most of the time issue lies with the configuration and when you do the settings from scratch the same is resolved.

Most if the problem appear when WSUS agent service is not working properly. It is essential that wsus agent service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service both must be running. You can identify errors and other details associated with that in the Event Viewer. Just go in that and try to locate information about the same. I am quiet sure that will be enough to fix the issue. Or else you can go with the below article that will help you to troubleshoot Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

List of known issues for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

When updates fails then the most common problem linked with them is associated with connectivity. If you can resolve that then you can deal with the issue. You might have to re-install some group policy settings to make it more stable. There are ample of guides available on web that tells you more about the fixing the issue. You have to just check the same. There are different factors that depend on proper functioning of WSUS.