Thread: Alternative operating system I can test other than Windows

Alternative operating system I can test other than Windows

Windows is being commonly used. I am looking for a few more operating system that I can test. I had worked on Ubuntu for a while. But after switching directly from Windows this was a bit complicated to use. Compare to everything I think windows is the best one. But still I want to test a few more. I cannot install mac, as it require more better hardware support. I am testing different OS on my pc to find out which is the fastest and easiest one to use.

Re: Alternative operating system I can test other than Windows

I do not think there is anything better than Ubuntu. Because it is free and above all you get a simple ui to manage it. There are tons of free software available for the same. Like a full office suite, a download manager, customization software, etc. After windows, only Linux can be a good choice because Mac is not easy to install and buying a Mac pc is simply out of the budget. You can try different version of Linux distro.

You can try Chrome OS. This one was released a few time ago and this OS is open source. It is free and it is considered as one of the most fastest operating system. That means you can install it on any pc which has low ram or message. It is designed to work for ultra portables. The OS is very simple and light. It is having a simple UI where you can work. But it does not has too many app support. You have to check that before.

Chrome OS is similar to MAC which comes pre-installed on a few systems. This OS is designed to give you more reliable output and fast performance. Being open source you don't have to pay anything. I had tested this on a pc before. But it is necessary that you find application for that before. Mostly you can use all Google based services on the same through a web browser support. I think compare to this windows and Ubuntu are more effective.

Just recently a new operating system is announced. It is called as Steam OS. This OS is designed to work for gaming system. This OS will be exclusive for gaming pc. Steam is a huge platform where you get lots of game and now it is coming in a OS format. It is based on Linux. That means you can still use many Linux application on the same. The OS is not yet out in the market. I think you have to wait for the stable release.

I am willing to run android on my pc. I can run that through a emulator but I want a more effective way of using this on my pc. Like using the entire display and keyboard mouse on it. Android is not yet planned to release for pc. It is working well on the portable platform. But developers must release a version for pc so that we can use all android apps on our system. It is always good to keep dual boot pc.