Thread: Windows 8 desktop deleted after upgrade

Windows 8 desktop deleted after upgrade

I was updating my system to the latest Windows 8.1. The upgrade was proper. Then I got some notification about new windows update. I ran them. It took a while for installation. After restart I found no icons on the desktop. There was no task bar. It look the desktop is deleted. Only Metro UI is working. I had created some folders on the desktop. They are not visible. What should I to get it back. Can I remove the latest 8.1 update.

Re: Windows 8 desktop deleted after upgrade

It is due to explorer.exe. It is crashing due to which you are unable to see your icons. Your files are not deleted. You can try running system restore which will help you to get rid of the problem. But there is no way to remove the latest 8.1update. Anyhow you will have to use it. You can go in event viewer to find out which applications is casing the crash. There you can find a detailed error report which will help you more in locating solution.

Re: Windows 8 desktop deleted after upgrade

There are few things you can try. Boot your system in safe mode. Go on Control Panel > Uninstall a program and remove any theming application you had installed. Restored windows default theme back. If this does not work then you have to run startup repair. For that you will need windows bootable disc. Just insert that and from the installation screen choose repair. Then click on startup repair. This will resolve the issue.