Thread: High disk usage on Windows 8 64bit

High disk usage on Windows 8 64bit

Disk Usage is really high on my Windows 8 64bit system. I am not able to figure out what is going on in the backside. Whenever I try to start something the application works slow. I was using a tool to find out disk performance which shows the disk usage at 100% always. I had also checked in Task Manager > Performance where the cpu usage is above 80% all the time. I am looking for some help here to get rid of this issue.

Re: High disk usage on Windows 8 64bit

It can be due to some automated program which is working in the background and causing this much high disk usage. You can simply kill all those process which you don't need. Go in Control Panel > Uninstall program and remove all unwanted software from your system. This will boost the output to some extent. But if you are unable to find the actual reason then you can try system restore. It will also help.

You can locate in Task Manager which application is consuming so much high ram. You will have to go in process and there you can see the ram and cpu usage. Through the service you can find out application and then you can remove it. It can be your antivirus also. If you are not able to find proper detail then you can try using some system optimizer software. There are ample of them available. This software also give more detail information.

High Disk Usage means constantly running applications in the background. You have to find that first. It can be a file sync app like SkyDrive, Google Drive, it can be a antivirus scanner or any other monitoring applications which constantly keeps on working in the background. This is why your hard drive remains occupied and your system is getting slow. It can be a virus problem also.

I had deal with this issue. I was having virus problem at that time. Even app takes around 2 minutes to open up.Windows 8 also take long time to start. I removed few applications but that did not helped. Later I notice that my antivirus keeps on scanning in background and this was due to infected files. I formatted my pc and the issue was fixed. My system is working really well now.

You need a system tool that can give you list of all programs which are working in your background. You can find that online. There are ample of system software which works really well when it comes to troubleshooting. You have to check what all files are working in the background and make list of it. Find which is needed and then just uninstall all of them. The disk usage will be limited.

Don't install too much programs in your system. Because this is not gong to help. It will make your system slow and every time when you turn it on the pc will take time to boot. You must also install only the required stuff which will boost your system output. You can use a uninstaller software like Revo which is really effective in terms of removing programs. Just remove a few application through this and check.

Hijackthis is one of the most common software that is used for fixing this kind of problem. This software will scan your drive and make a list of each and every process which is working in the background. You can then through that locate its position. A number of time through task manager you wont be able to find what application is associated with what software. There will be just a plain .exe file. You can find more details on that through hijackthis.