Thread: Cpu-Z crashing on Windows 8.1

Cpu-Z crashing on Windows 8.1

I am trying to check my motherboard model by running cpu z on Windows 8.1. But it is crashing when after a few time. A new problem started after Windows 8.1 update. Each time when I try to start some application it crashes. Apps like Yahoo Messenger, Skype, etc also crash. It is a bit weird. Sometime they work fine. This is the first time Cpu-Z is constantly crashing after update. What should I do here to fix the issue.

Re: Cpu-Z crashing on Windows 8.1

Looks some files are not stable. You can remove Cpu-z and install it back again. If it crash after that also then it means your system has some serious system file problem. You can run system file checker for that. Go in Cmd and type SFC/ Scannow and hit inter. This tool will scan your system for damage system file and repair it. If this does not work then you might have to install windows back.

It can be a compatibility problem also. Remove Cpu-z and then right click on its setup. Go in Properties and then click on Compatibility mode. From there choose Windows 8 or Windows 7 and then install the problem. Once done try to launch it. Sometime new OS is not compatible with a few app due to which you get this problem. You have to run them in compatibility mode and this resolve the problem.

I think this is a ram issue. Before running cpu z download memtest. There are some other memory tester also. Memtest is the best one among all. Just download the iso file and burn that on a CD/DVD. Scan your system through that. If you find any errors then you have to replace the stick. Cpu Z usually read the information of entire hardware and if there is any damage hardware then it will crash.

Just for testing purpose why don't you try some other hardware tool. There are many which works like cpu z and give you detail information about the hardware in your system. There is one more tool you can test which is called as Blackbox. Just install this and test back. This will give you more information compare to CpuZ. If this works then the problem is with cpu z.

What version of cpu-z you are using. Just download the latest one from the web and overwrite the existing installation and then test back. You can get a bit more information on the crash from Event Viewer. Just go in that and there you can find description about the crash. Post that error code here and then I can help you more in fixing the problem. It is quiet common that this type of app are unstable if any internal system file is damage.

I got the same issue with HWMonitor. It was not crashing but it was freezing whenever I try to use it. It starts fine and shows the temperature for few second but it then freezes. I have to log off to close it. I had removed and re-installed but that did not helped much. Later on I switch to another application which works in the same manner and there is no issue in that. You can change the application. There are various hardware scanner available.

In your case atleast the app is crashing. But in my there was another big issue. Whenever I ran Cpu-Z the entire system crash with blue-screen. There was a bit hardware problem. I got this issue before also because of a old ram. When I remove that the system works fine, but when it is connected there is a blue screen at the time of running application like CPU-Z. You have to test your ram as mention above.

There is more advance tool that can help you to get more detail information about your system. Download and install SiSoftware Sandra Lite. It is a nice system analyzer software through which you can find your complete system hardware information. If this s also crashing then it means your OS is not stable. You have to simply backup your data and then you have to re-install windows.