Thread: Can I move my hard drive to another pc and start Windows

Can I move my hard drive to another pc and start Windows

Can I move my existing Windows 8 hard drive to my friend pc and then launch windows. I want to give him some movies. Which is around 60GB in size. It is not possible to give it in a pen drive form. So I thought I can better transfer that through my hard drive directly by connecting it the to system. But will windows work on that. Because I also want to configure the system router.

Re: Can I move my hard drive to another pc and start Windows

No windows wll not work. It might work if the entire hardware configuration is one and the same. You have to re-install windows back again if you tried moving the hard drive. The best thing you can do is hook your drives as a secondary and copy the files. And then move your drive back in your pc. Do not attempt to install or repair windows. You might loose your operating system.

You can only do that if you are having the exact same hardware. Or else it will not work. I had tried that before and the one thing I face that the system crashed with blue screen. I have a two similar pc at my office and I swap the drives on it. It works really fine. There is no issue with windows if you have same hardware. The setup should be also in similar manner.

If you just want to copy files then the first option will really help. You can hook the drive as a secondary one and done. It will be easier to use it something like a secondary drive. Because you just have to move data. Then why to mess up with the operating system. Second thing you can do is use a external hard drive which will be more safer I think. because there can be settings issue if you change the drive.