Thread: Disk boot failure after connecting a 4TB usb 3.0 hard drive

Disk boot failure after connecting a 4TB usb 3.0 hard drive

I am not sure what really happened to my system. I am using a IBM pc. I had bought a 4TB hard drive for data backup. After connecting the system the system just fail to boot. There is a direct disk boot error. But when I remove it the system boot back to normal. The drive is detected when I had connected it to my pc on windows. But after restart the system just give the disk boot error. What should I do here to resolve the problem.

Re: Disk boot failure after connecting a 4TB usb 3.0 hard drive

Connect the hard drive first and then go in Device Manager. Right click on the portable drive and choose update drivers. That will be great enough to fix the issue. So just try that first and then reboot your pc back again. I am sure that will resolve the problem. But if this does not work then there is some problem in the usb ports. Check on different ports one by one and see whether the issue is fixed or not.

You are getting that error because of bios settings. You have to change the first boot device. I think it is configured as usb hdd and that is why the system fails to boot. By default optical drive is selected as the first boot device, and a hard drive is selected as the second. So hit Del or F10 key at the boot and go in bios. Check the hard drive priority and set that to your internal hard drive where the OS is installed.

That bios thing work. Thanks for helping. I went in the bios and first boot drive was configured as usb hdd. I had set that to the optical drive first and then to the internal hard drive. The issue is solved. Few weeks ago I had formatted my pc through a usb pen drive. And then once windows was installed things were left on that settings only. That is why I was facing disk boot error. Again thanks for helping.