Thread: Windows 8 error "ordinal 42 could not be located"

Windows 8 error "ordinal 42 could not be located"

I recently installed a game on Windows 8 operating system which was working fine on the Windows 8 Release preview. After trying to start it for the first time, it started giving me some error related to missing dll files, so I downloaded it and extracted it into sys84 folder. But later when I tried to launch the game then it gave me another error message saying that "The ordinal 42 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xlive.dll." Now I am stuck and I cannot play this game at all because of this error? Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Windows 8 error "ordinal 42 could not be located"

The error which is related to xlive.dll comes in the Games for Live package installer and for that you will need to download that installer and install it again in your pc from here - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128962. First download the installer and then right click on it and choose Run as administrator. After installing the program restart the computer and then try to run the game again and see if this time the problem gets solved or not.

If the above method doesnt work for you then try to run sfc /scannow to repair any corrupt system files in your pc. To do that boot to your desktop view and then open a command prompt by right clicking in the left corner when the Start Wundows appear and choose command prompt and run as admin. Now type the following command given below and then press Enter:
    sfc /scannow.

This System File checker tool will scan all the protected system files in your computer and replace the improper versions with correct files.

Note that if you have already installed the game and still the fixes given above is not working then you will have to first uninstall the game and then re-do the steps given in the above replies to solve the issue. If still it doesnt work then try to install the game first and then right click on the game's .exe file and choose properties and then go to Compatibility tab and tick mark the checkbox to run the game in any other Windows Operating System and click apply. Now try to double click on the exe file and then see if it works.